Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why No Audio Device?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 infinityinktattoo

infinityinktattoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

Ok, so I buy this computer off this dood who works with computers, so you;d think its working fine. I get some speakers for it (2.1), and then they don't work. I looked under audio, and "no audio device" appears. I have a sound card (I think) because there is a little green hole for the green cord off the speakers goes into (line out I believe). I also downloaded a driver that matched my motherboard, but it didnt seem to make a difference, it just came up as a yellow !! under the sounds, games, and controllers, section.

I just want to rock. Can anyone tell me what I am missing, or how to f#@king fix this? I will give you a free tattoo if you can :-)

Thanks!
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

Where exactly is the audio jack (green hole) located? If it is near the keyboard and mouse and network plug, then it has internal sound hardware; if it is nearer the bottom (on an upright case) or the right as you look at it (on a laydown case), then it has an added sound card. Or, does it have both? This is the first step in figuring out what the problem is...
Hear from you soon... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 infinityinktattoo

infinityinktattoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

there is 3 holes, the green one is in the middle, (the other ones are black and pinkish) and are directly below where the mouse and printer go (usb ports), so I'm assuming it means internal? I also opened the computer and found a long thing microchipy thing about the size of a small candy bar, which I guess is the soundcard? I also was talking to someone who said that if you are using a pirated copy of xp, then you need to reinstall the drivers since I wiped my computer a week ago, but you cant since they are downloadable only from microsoft.
So, I need to know if this is the prolbem, and if so, where besides microsoft would I be able to download them from?

Thanks!
Nick

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

[Oh - I forgot to say welcome to BC Forums!]

You definitely have internal sound hardware. With the circuit board (about the size of a candy bar), it may not necessarilly be a sound card. What connection types are located at the back of that circuit board? This may identify what service it provides.

What you have been told is correct. Anytime you install a new Operating System (in this case Windows XP (I assume it is XP Home? - Is it Service Pack 1 or 2)), you also need to install the motherboard drivers as these are removed from the Hard Disk during the installation. Additionally, a legal copy of Windows XP would normally automatically update drivers, however unaithorised copies will not. That does not mean that the drivers are not available however.

This is what I need from you:

1. What is the circuit board connected to your motherboard? (Let me know what connection(s) is/are on the back)
2. What is the exact brand and model of your motherboard? (This can be found (usually) written on the board near the CPU. Additionally, you can download EVEREST Home Edition ( http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en ) to identify your MB).

From this we can:
1. Make sure there is not a conflict of devices (eg. both internal and external sound hardware)
2. Identify a suitable location for motherboard drivers (which will include sound hadware drivers (e.g. AC'97 Audio etc)).

Here from you again! :thumbsup:

Justin
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users