Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove linux mint from 8.1 dual boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeHunt

MikeHunt

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

So anyway I did this to the point at which I dont see the linux partition. but it still showing when i reboot help me remove it completely as it did not install correctly. 

I did this but dont see the partitions is there any other way to remove it or what should I look for. I dont see any ext partitions either. (not sure if linux loaded correctly but either way its at the start up when I restart)

1. EasyBCD (download http://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1)

Just write something in those boxes, and you’ll be able to download it free.

1. You’re at the GRUB menu, Boot into Windows 7
  2. Having the EasyBCD, now Open EasyBCD
  3. Go to BCD Deployment
  4. By default, you will have the Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR, button checked. If you don’t have that checked, check it now! (before it’s too late…)
  5. Click on Write MBR (that red button). This removed the GRUB menu, and made Windows 7 load automatically.
  6. Go now to Edit boot menu.
  7. Highlight Windows 7
  8. Check Skip the boot menu.
  9. And then Save settings.
  10. Close EasyBCD.
  11. Right – Click on My Computer
  12. Click on Manage, and the partitions will pop-up now, you’re just going to remove the Linux partition.
  13. Right-Click on the Linux volume and click Delete volume.
  14. Now Right-click on the deleted volume and click Delete partitionNow you lost everything on Linux, if you didn’t back-up your files, they’re gone forever.
  15. Now right click on your Drive that’s near the empty partition, and click on Extend volume. It will automatically set the size of extension, just click next and you’re done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hi

Make sure you are booted into Windows not Linux Mint.

Follow steps 1 - 10 carefully

For Windows 8.1 hit  <Windows> + <C> keys to open the charms bar.

Click Search and type Disk Management in the field. Click Create and format hard disk partitions, to open the Disk Management window .

When the window opens, you will see a list of all drives/partitions on your system along with a graphic representation of each.

My system showed 2 partitions not formatted as NTFS matter of fact the 'file system' column for each was blank

Right click the Volume(s) and click Delete. Right click the Deleted Volume and delete the partition.

Now you can extend the another partition to increase space or leave it blank and install Windows Technical Preview as I did.

I followed the same directions you've posted above, 2 nights ago to remove Linux Mint from my dual-boot with Windows 7. Everything went without a hitch.

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 MikeHunt

MikeHunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

not working because. the volumes i have are greyed out when it says delete volume. I have about 5 partitions. one c and 2 d: backups and 2 others one for 260m and another none of them will let me delete volume and dont want to delete the wrong partiton

i dont think linux mint ever installed correctly not sure if there is even a linux partition there i need to know how to tell which partition is what before i start deleting them. 

Edited by MikeHunt, 04 October 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Of course you don't want to delete the C volume, or neither of your backup volumes, System Reserved volumes, Recovery volumes.

If you can't determine from the Windows Disk Management window, or Windows explorer the drive/partition configuration, You have a Linux disk.

Boot Linux live, and look at the drives/partitions by mounting them in Linux.

You could also try Gnome Partition Editor (GPARTED): http://gparted.org/download.php

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#5 MikeHunt

MikeHunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

any other ways to check and see if this linux partition is in here i dont think it is... but wont let me prntscrn or attach file to this thread 

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

Attachments are not permitted in the OS forums. You'll have to use an image hosting service like Photobucket, Imgur or postimg.org then link the hosted image URL.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users