Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'v have just bought a Dell Inspiron N5110 from car boot sale. This laptop turns on but will not get past the screen shown in the photo. Hard drive has been removed, all other parts are still in place. The guy who sold this laptop, had the hard drive removed.

Specs:

Intel Core i5 Processor (unsure of exact speed or generation because unable to access desktop due to error).
4GB RAM
15" Screen
HDMI, USB, Ethernet ports, and SD card reader

Questions:

1. What does this error mean:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.

2. I want to install a 1TB 2.5" hard drive. If yes, which Western Digital hard drive should I go for?

3. Curently it has 4GB RAM installed. Want to install 8GB RAM to optimise performance. please tell me which make/brand should I go for?

4. I also have a Dell recovery operating system windows 7 home premium from another Dell Laptop. Will this Dell recovery opertaing system work and install Windows 7 using the key located underneath the laptop near the battery area of the Dell Inspiron N5110?

Thanks in advance!! :clapping:

Attached Files

Edited by smithcraig, 04 October 2014 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

The first thing you are going to need to do is to purchase and install a hdd.

Newegg has a Western Digital 1TB hdd for $69.99 plus tax and shipping. 

You will then need to install Windows Home Premium 64-bit.  You can download a ISO image of your operating system here.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a DVD to create a bootable installation disc.  

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

If you need a tutorial for installing the operating system, ask me and I'll help with that.

After you have installed the operating system you will need to download and install the drivers.  You can download these at Product Support, Dell US.  When the site opens you will need to choose your operating system (MS Windows 7 64-bit), the drivers download list will fill below.

As for RAM.  I have a personal preference for Crucial.  They have a 8GB kit (4GB x 2) for $83.99 plus tax and shipping.

Edited by dc3, 04 October 2014 - 11:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi.

I ordered a WD Western digital 1.0TB WD10JPVX Laptop hard drive for £43.00 brand new sealed from eBay.

It arrived this morning and I've managed to install the hard drive with out any difficulties.

Now, I am at the stage where I need tutorial guide to install windows 7. I have a Dell Windows 7 recovery operating system. The laptop has a windows 7 serial number underneath. Will the serial number underneath the laptop work when it asks for serial number?

And also do you have a tutorial guide that may be beneficial to me?

Thanks in advance. :clapping:

#4 ICT_Tech

ICT_Tech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

unfortunately you need the product key not the serial number of the laptop this is the certificate of authenticity proving you are the licence holder this key will be required at installation stage putting windows on the dell machine. 

find this key and you are away follow guide that was already given. the other steps are simple and self explanatory but here you go anyway

remember this is what you are after a sticker like this one

#5 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

As for RAM.  I have a personal preference for Crucial.  They have a 8GB kit (4GB x 2) for $83.99 plus tax and shipping.

Will be upgrading RAM very shortly. Will this 8GB kit (4GB X 2) from Crucial fit in my laptop?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

The link that I post in #2 will take you to a Crucial website where there are Three choices of kits for 8GB (2 x 4GB), these are suggested specifically for your computer.  You should choose one of the three options there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 smithcraig

smithcraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

The link that I post in #2 will take you to a Crucial website where there are Three choices of kits for 8GB (2 x 4GB), these are suggested specifically for your computer.  You should choose one of the three options there.

Hi Guys,

How much ram can my laptop take?

I have a Inspiron N5110.

Specs:

Intel Core i5 Processor 2.5ghz
4GB RAM
15" Screen
HDMI, USB, Ethernet ports, and SD card reader

Thanks in advance!! :clapping:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

If you go back to post #2 and click on the Crucail link you will see the maximum amount of RAM in the lower left portion of the page.

The maximum amount of RAM is 8GB, since there are two slots this means the maximum per slot is 4GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users