Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Video Card OR Purchase this system

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 elguapo79

elguapo79

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

My computer is 6-8 years old, and just recently I tried playing a game on Steam that it couldn't handle (suggested requirements below). On a limited budget (which is not negotiable unfortunately), I decided to look into upgrading. I've narrowed my choices down to either getting a new graphics card for $100-$150 or purchasing a new system that I stumbled upon at a local discount store. My computer now works fine and dandy for all typical chores. I'm just trying to decide which is the most prudent option for my limited budget considering that I do want to try playing some games more on my PC now (can't justify a PS4 just yet, and it's hard to get the TV time anyway with my wife and 2 boys!):

I used to know a lot more about hardware than I do now. I've been out of the market for so long, processor types and speeds are pretty baffling to me now, as are video cards.

Current system:

HP Media Center PC

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
4 gb ram (DDR2)
ATI Radeon 1 GB gfx card

Hard drive isn't an issue. I think it's 500 GB.

OPTION 1: (price range $100-$150)

Upgrade the video card to this - EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti Superclock w/G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, HDMI, DP 1.2

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO

also saw this in newegg today: EVGA 02G-P4-3751-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025&sid=ebs2d-1d9344d1412421748084sbe&sourceName=detailpage

I have no idea how to tell which one is better, but they both get a lot of "great bang for your buck" type reviews.

OPTION 2: (price $333 minus whatever I'd get back selling the monitor)

Hewlett Packard HP 110-243wb Desktop PC with AMD A4-5000 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 21.5" Monitor, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 8.1
AMD Radeon HD 8330 Graphics with up to 4096MB total graphics memory, dual-link DVI and VGA capabilities

1 x PCI Express (x0.5) mini slot

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-110-243wb-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-A4-5000-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-Memory-21.5-Monitor-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8.1/34083876

(The PCI slot sounds like it would really limit me. What the heck is this? Are there any graphics cards alive that would fit in this slot in the event that I could afford to upgrade later?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love to hear anyone's opinions on which is the most bang for my buck and / or which would perform the best as a gaming computer.

Incidentally, the game that I tried recently and was disappointed that I still get hurky jerky results when set on lowest settings is The Golf Club. http://store.steampowered.com/app/269730/

Sytem requirements:

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: DX11 compatible video card with 1GB video RAM
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core i5 or equivalent
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia 660 or AMD 7850 w/ 2GB
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible

Sorry for the information storm -- thought better to give too much than too little.

Edited by elguapo79, 04 October 2014 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users