Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processors - AMD vs Intel Which is better for this build?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wildtree

wildtree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

While trying to refine my build I've been bouncing between people saying Intel have better processors and the same for AMD

Use: I'm going to be using this computer for graphic design programs including the adobe suite, the maximum in terms of games I'll play would be old school Age of Empires 3, pre 2010 stuff, no over-clocking.

I'm asking if you could in layman terms let me know and help me understand the pro's and cons of both brands which has worked better, which is more reliable etc.

my build is underneath 

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($125.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($125.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($125.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card  ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($105.00 @ CPL Online) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.00 @ CPL Online) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($115.00 @ CPL Online) 
Speakers: Logitech Z130 5W 2ch Speakers  ($24.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $941.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 21:21 EST+1000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Simply put...AMD CPUs provide more bang for the buck...while the upper-end Intel CPUs will provide stats indicating that they are "faster". For me, the price differential is the most important consideration.

IMO, the reason that we have CPUs with more than 4 processors...is because that's the current marketing ploy...more cores/processors equates to "better" in some heads...while the reality is that there are few apps and normal computer situations that utilize 8 processors and users like me have no need of such for what I do with my systems

Yet, I have 2 8-core CPUs :), because the price was right, compared to what I could procure in the way of an Intel product...and I wanted a new toy, I wanted to build a new system when there was no need (I have 2 desktops, 1 laptop) and I could justify 2 if I had to.  But I don't need to justify any of my computer toys...I pay for them, I use them and I can afford new ones if I think that will provide some sort of stimulus within me.

Considering the processing speeds of today's computers...IMO, the only ones truly needing "faster" CPUs (for a while, since new models are always coming out) will be gamers.

I think of it this way...if the performance increase is not perceptible by the average user...then it really doesn't matter. Some folks drift into that "I want a car that does 180 KPH...when they are only driving in New York city, where they can never, ever drive as fast as that vehicle might be able to go :).

Honestly speaking...a lot of system buying...is done from the same lack of perspective that humans exhibit when they decide to buy a new auto.  There are few practical reasons that are behind the purchase and it simply becomes a matter of deciding what you as a person...can live with as a less-than-stupid purchase :).

My advice would be to buy or build a system that you can be proud of ...but remember that it will be obsolete probaby this time next week or next month :) and there will new products calling for you to purchase them.

If you really want to find that range of components that are employed by your peers in the graphics design arena...I suggest that visit a few of the forums for the software that you use..;.and note the variety of system components used with satisfactory results by all.  That includes:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/37/graphics-design-and-photo-editing/

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have run both there is not a ton of difference for most users, I do like the on board graphics less, both heat and power consumption.  You can apply the video card savings toward an Intel.  The site below has some info and owner input

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing-components/processors/intel-vs-amd-which-processor-is-best-936589#null

Edited by OldPhil, 04 October 2014 - 04:59 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users