Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need To Upgrade Video Card?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ladysmom

ladysmom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

HI There!

OK, so here's the first thing I need help on: I have a fairly new (2 years old) computer with a 15" LCD monitor. My current video card is an NVIDIA GEForce4 MX 440 with AGP8x. Which I need to tell you, means nothing to me, except that everything looks really good at max resolution. I am not a gamer - use for mostly CAD,office applications and surfing the net. I am looking at purchasing a 24" LCD monitor Acer AL2416WD and can't figure out for the life of me if I need to upgrade my video card before I commit to spending that much money.

Any help in interpreting this would be greatly appreciated! I even went to the ACER website and downloaded their manual, but alas if it told me, I wasn't able to understand it!

Thanks!

:thumbsup:
Loves her dogs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:48 AM

You shouldn't have any problem, my brother has 42" Sony LCD TV that he's using as his montior and has a similar board.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Should work fine. The size of the screen dosent matter to the graphics card, it is more a question of resolution, refresh rates and the ability to connect them. You might need a VGA to DVI converter if your card doesn't have DVI output.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

Mr Alpha I checked this out on tigerdirect and ncix and they both say that there is a VGA and DVI input so you don't need the vga to dvi converter.

#5 ladysmom

ladysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

Thanks Mr Alpha,Klinkaroo and dc 3 for answering my question! I thought we were getting kind of out there with a 24" monitor - I can't imagine looking at a spreadsheet on a 42"! Kind of like a nightmare I had at work a few years ago - "the spreadsheet that ate New York!"
Loves her dogs

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

BTW Your monitor will work with the VGA port of you video card but you might want to think about eventually upgrading so you can get a DVI port. DVI is digital wich means better quality... if you plug in a VGA to DVI converter this will not make much of a difference...

You can run your 24 inch on the VGA but if you have 100-150$ lying around might wanna upgrade.

Hope you will come back to Bleeping Computer we always need questions to awnser :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users