Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic card / power supply problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:39 AM

I have recently bought an MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard,

Military Class III components: Top quality & stability
OC Genie II: Auto OC to boost performance in 1 sec
ClickBIOS II: Easy-to-use UEFI BIOS interface
THX TruStudio PRO: deliver the fullest audio experience
Support USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s

• Chipset: Intel Z77
• Memory slots: 4x DDR3, dual PC3-22400U (OC)
• Extension slots: 1x PCIe 3.0 x16, 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4), 2x PCIe 2.0 x1, 3x PCI
• External connectors: 1x VGA, 1x DVI-D, 1x HDMI 1.4a, 2x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0, 1x Gb LAN (RTL8111E), 6x jack, 1x PS/2 Combo
• Internal connectors: 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, 2x SATA 6Gb/s (Z77), 4x SATA II (Z77), 1x CPU fan 4-Pin, 2x fan 4-Pin, 2x fan 3-Pin, 1x serial, 1x parallel
• Audio: 7.1 (ALC892)
• RAID level: 0/1/5/10 (Z77)
• Multi-GPU: AMD 2-Way CrossFireX (x16/x4)
• power connections: 1x 24-Pin ATX, 1x 8-Pin ATX12V
• Special features: All solid capacitors, UEFI
• Attention! Usage of PCIe 3.0 requires an Ivy Bridge CPU!

A Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660

Lower GPU Temperature Ultra Durable VGA board provides dramatic cooling effect on lowering both GPU and memory temperature by doubling the copper inner layer of PCB.
Better Overclocking Capability Ultra Durable VGA board reduces voltage ripples in normal and transient state, thus effectively lowers noises and ensures higher overclocking capability.
Decrease Power Switching Loss Ultra Durable VGA board allows more bandwidth for electron passage and reduces circuit impedance. The less circuit impedance, the more stable flow of current and can effectively improve power efficiency.

WindForce 2X Anti-turbilence-Parallel inclined WINDFORCE™ 2X parallel-inclined fin design is equipped with 2 ultra quiet PWM fans and two copper heat pipes to enlarge air channel on the graphics card vents and creates a more effective airflow system in chassis.
PhysX Technology NVIDIA® PhysX™ is the next big thing in gaming!The best way to get real-time physics, such as explosions that cause dust and debris, characters with life-like motion or cloth that drapes and tears naturally is with an NVIDIA® PhysX™-ready GeForce® processor

Manufacturer: Gigabyte Interface: PCIe 3.0 (x16)
Chipset: GTX 660 Connectivity: 1 x DisplayPort
1 x Dual Link DVI-I
1 x DVI-D
1 x HDMI
Edition: Windforce 2X
Manufacturing process: 28 nm
Cores: 960
Streams: N/A Multi Monitor: 4 displays
Core Clock: 980 MHz HDCP Ready: Yes
Boost Clock: 1033 MHz Width: 2.5 Slot
Shader Clock: N/A
Memory: 2GB Low Profile Compatible: No
Memory Bit Rate: 192 Bit
Memory Type: GDDR5 Package Type: Retail
Memory Clock: 6008 MHz Maximum GPU Power:
Cooling: Dual Fan

An X-Viper 650W Power supply

desc1.gif

The problem I am having ia the system boots up perfectly when graphics card is not installed yet whenever I insert the graphic card it fails to boot

Sometimes the fans move a little then stop when I press the front panel start button

then every time I try afterwards it fails altogether

If I take the graphic card out it works fine

All parts of computer are brand new except for

2 Hard drives (same problem without hard drives connected)

An Intel i7 processor

I've added a new 16GB memory kit to used 4gb kit

Any help would be apreciated

Edited by Juliasdream, 04 October 2014 - 05:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

I had to edit the above because I'd accidentally pressed "submit" way too early

#3 Troll-Bot

Troll-Bot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

Let me preface this with: I'm not trying to be difficult, but you connected the correct amount of PCI Express connectors with the graphics card, right?

#4 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

Let me preface this with: I'm not trying to be difficult, but you connected the correct amount of PCI Express connectors with the graphics card, right?

Yes, The graphics card needs only one pci express slot  and a 6 pin 12v power connetctor from the PSU

Could it be that the PSU is not powerful enough for MB and graphics card together?

If so

What minimum spec of PSU should I go for?

Thanks

Edited by Juliasdream, 05 October 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

You could try resetting the bios with the card installed. Some boards reset themselves, but if you have a jumper on the mobo then move it from 1-2 to 2-3 for few seconds and then move it back. Then unplug the power cord hit the power switch with it unplugged. Then plug it in and power it up. If it still doesn't work then I would use the onboard video and go download a bios update for that motherboard. If the video card you have is known to work then the only thing left is to RMA the motherboard back to MSI. To tell you the truth im not to fond of MSI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users