Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Happened?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

I keep getting the "we can't tell if your computer is ready to continue installing windows" error. Anyone knows why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Now this appears before i get the "something happened" error.

preerror.png

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

I assume you're trying to do an upgrade, as opposed to a clean install, correct?

All is well in Paradise.

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yes.
I also forgot to say the this is my laptop, not my main desktop computer.

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 04 October 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

My guess (it's only a guess) is that something in your system disagrees with the upgrade and it may very well be that you'd have to do a clean install to get around it.

Naturally, you'd have to save all your data first, if you decide to take that route.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

Are you sure there's not any other way to upgrade? I've made a drive image, but copying all the files one by one i'd hate to do.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

If you have a good backup program, it'll give the option of copying the files over, so you won't manually have to. 

Though I haven't depended on it since 2010, the inbuilt Windows Backup may be helpful, but I can't say for sure. I stated that I haven't depended on it, but did use it 13 months ago prior to installing Windows 8 to a SSD. Though it was a system image & not a Data backup. It has improved in recent years, but don't know how, or if it'll work well with the Windows Technical Preview. 

Finally, it's best to create a Full System Image, with 2 different programs (the Windows one & Macrium Reflect are good). It was Macrium that allowed me to go from a 1TB HDD to a 120GB SSD by cloning. Though to make further room once on there, had to disable System Restore, reduce the pagefile & disable hibernation, after these actions, was using less than 50GB out of 120GB. 

I don't recommend using this to upgrade the installed OS w/out a backup, and the creation of a recovery disk set, if that option is still available on your system, if you haven't already done so. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users