Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 running very slowly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I've been having a problem with one of my computers. It is running Windows 8.1.

Earlier today I turned it on and it took almost an hour to start. Then, after it's been on for some time, I tried to log in and it froze. Also, since then, it would keep freezing at the most random times. I'm really unsure what could be causing this. The computer was running just fine until today.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

~yosefu_kun_98.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hello - A few brief questions.

Earlier today I turned it on and it took almost an hour to start. Then, after it's been on for some time, I tried to log in and it froze. Also, since then, it would keep freezing at the most random times. I'm really unsure what could be causing this. The computer was running just fine until today.

Do you know what was the last thing done or installed on that computer yesterday ??

Were you the last person to use it, and how was it operating prior to today's problem ??

Thanks -

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

If you are able to, the easiest way to get it back to the way it was, is by doing a System Restore, back to a date that precedes the problem.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

To answer those questions, nothing new was installed on there. And, I was the last person to use the computer. Before this started happening, the computer was running just fine.

I was able to do a System Restore and that seemed to have fixed the problem-- for a day. I started to have problems with it again and now it takes hours for the computer to start up and it takes 10 minutes for it to log me in.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

Having made repairs of computer running this slow I can sympathize with your situation.

I would suggest doing a Refresh.  This will not effect your data.

Go to Settings, click or tap on Change PC settings.

Tap or click Update and recovery, and then click or tap Recovery.

Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click or tap Get started.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2014 - 09:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

You may have no choice but to follow DC3's intructions, to refresh your system.

While you're thinking about it. you could post screenshots of all processes running in the Task manager after a fresh boot up, and we might identify something that is causing the problem.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

Okay, I'll see if refresh works, that is if I can get to it. Right now nothing responds on the computer and if I restart it usually takes hours for it to come back, and then nothing changes (It's like a cycle.)

Also if I can get to Task Manager, I'll see if I can get some screenshots.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

When dealing with a semi dysfunctional system, one can never know what will or what won't work.

Here is an idea that might serve you.

I'd like to be clear that I'm not suggesting you take this route first.

I would just like to make you aware of the option, that may come in handy.

There is a feature in Recovery in the Control Panel that allows a user to create a recovery drive out of a 16 gig (or more) USB thumb drive, essentially copying the recovery partition and making it bootable.

Let's suppose that your computer is running so poorly that you can't get to the advanced recovery area, where you'd go to do a system refresh, or perhaps you could get there, but the slowness of your system, either made it impossible to do or take so long that you might wait a week.

That's where the USB recovery drive might show itself to be more useful, in your predicament.

As it is bootable, when you boot up with it, your Windows system on your hard drive is not running. It's all running from the thumb drive,

If luck is with you, it would refresh the system at the same speed as any normal refresh.

One last note.

If you wanted to boot from the USB drive, you'd have to get to the bios and make it the primary boot device.

There's a bit of a song and dance to go through to get that done, but I won't bore you with the details of this procedure, unless you do run into problems with a refresh by conventional means, in which case, I can give you the step by step instructions.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

Okay, so over the last few days I've been monitoring the computer's performance, and I have come to the conclusion that it is a hard drive problem. Right now I'm backing everything up and considering getting a new hard drive. Problem solved? I guess? :P

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

You have not posted the make and model of this computer, please do so.

You need to run a diagnostic tool to determine the condition of you hdd.

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Short Drive Self Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Oh! I didn't realize that, thank you for reminding me. The computer is a Dell Dimension E310 (2007). In the meantime, I will see about running a disk test.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

This is a desktop, so if the SeaTools fails to run on this computer you can open the case to see who the manufacturer of the hdd is.

You will need to at least partially remove the hdd to see who the manufacturer is.  You can use this link to open the owners manual.  Go to page 24 to see the instructions for removing the hdd.  You will need to remove the side of the case first, there are instructions toward the front for doing this.

Important:  Before you touch anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity charge stored in your body.  Electrostatic discharges can kill integrated circuits, like RAM modules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users