Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD to HDD - Change main drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raoul97asd

raoul97asd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

Hello guys, i've just bought a new computer, and the main drive is the 120GB SSD, which is not okay for me, i want it to be the 1TB HDD, is it possible to swap every data on it? Most programs save everything on the SSD and i can't change it. I am also not willing to change the directory all the time. What can i do? What would YOU do? I'm awaiting your answers guys :-)

PS: my idea would also be to use the SSD for Windows and maybe some games that i would install by manually changing the installation directory. For the rest, i want that when i use a program like iTunes to save all my personal data directly on the HDD, not on the SSD, because it would run out of space very quickly.

Attached Files

Edited by raoul97asd, 03 October 2014 - 04:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

So to be clear, you'd like the SSD to remain the main drive, that is to say, the drive that contains the operating system, programs and some temp data and you'd like to make official data folder moves to the 1TB hard drive, correct?

If so, it will be easy, permanent and a one shot deal.

Just say the word and I'll give you the details/instructions.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 raoul97asd

raoul97asd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

Yes, i'd like Windows to stay on the SSD, but if i want to install a program, i don't want it to be installed on it AUTOMATICALLY/DEFAULT. Manually if i wanted to. Is this even possible?

Edited by raoul97asd, 03 October 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

On some programs, yes, but bear in mind that your programs will work better and faster if they remain on the SSD.

The gamers often install the games on the data hard drive, because those programs are huge, sometimes over 10 gigs each.

To give you an example of a typical machine, I have a PC here that has an 80 gig SSD and a couple of 2TB hard drives for data.

The SSD is less than 50% full and unlike HDD's that slow down a fair bit once they are half full, SSD's are quite comfortable when 80% full.

So unless you have multiple huge programs to be installed, you may do better keeping them on the SSD.

If that suits you and you want the instructions as to how to make official Windows moves for your data files, such as Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Videos, Games, Favorites, just let me know.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users