Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing 10GB

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ronpardy435

ronpardy435

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

There are many files and folders that are hidden from view, go to start>Username>Folder and search options. Select the "view" tab and scroll down until you see "hidden files and folders". Select "Show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files" (NOTE: Make sure you re-enable this setting after you are done). Now you can count the size correctly.

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

You can download and install Treesize, which will tell you where EVERYTHING is, and how much space it occupies.

PS: When you go to the webpage, click on the writing in red that says "this direct link" to download the free program.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 ronpardy435

ronpardy435
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:15 PM

Can I thank the 2 people who responded to my query.
I understand it better, although I cant understand why they would go to all the trouble to hide the info in the first place.
I'm impressed with the speed that you replied.........at least I know that there are others up late into the night.
Thank you again..............................this is a good site.
Ron

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

First of all, a 60GB SSD is really only 55.879GB.  See this.  Also, I don't see any mention of hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys.  The hyberfil.sys file alone is usually the equivalent of 75% of your RAM.

[Note: I see no reason why you couldn't just post the information rather than providing it as an attachment.]

#6 ronpardy435

ronpardy435
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Dear Agouti,

I know you are not a condescending prat but you certainly are trying to be one.

Don't treat others with limited computer experience like dummies.

I sent in what I saw on my computer....nothing more, nothing less. 

Have a good day and sit on your ego for a moment before replying to posts.

Have a good day.

Ron

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

If that is your attitude on these forums, good luck.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

With reference to Posts 5, 6 and 7 in this topic, there is a good reason for where possible not posting links to files like that in Post #1. A considerable number of contributors on BC will not open files in links like this on grounds of security - you never know what malicious payload may be hiding behind it. Agouti might have expressed himself better in his remark in the first of these posts, but the the other two fall some way below the normal levels of courtesy expected.

The reason MS set some files hidden by default in every version of Windows I have looked at is to protect users from themselves. Paternalistic yes, but it saves a great deal of maintenance time !  There are those who will click on anything out of curiosity, and if you can't see a file, or don't know it exists, you can't delete it or move it to an inappropriate location. I will admit this is a case of 'Do as I say, not as I do !' insofar as any computer I set up for anyone else I set the files hidden. But on my own computers they are visible.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 ronpardy435

ronpardy435
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

Thank you Chris...now I understand and will not do it again.

Can you advise Agouti that I don't think its my attitude that is in question.....................I would ask him to look closer to home, but of course he will not as he remains comfortable on his ego pedestal.