Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended USB Flash Drive Repair Service?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aurum

Aurum

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hello!

This isn't exactly a request for repair instructions, but a request for a good repair place.

So as it would seem, only backing up bulks of files every couple of weeks on a USB Flash drive really stinks when you lose data just a little before your next back-up time.

I lost a few files in my 32GB Sandisk Cruzer during travel. The drive looks fine from the outside, if bent one degree or so, but I can tell that it's definitely physical damage. (After research, it seems that the most common physical problem with the brand is having the connectors break.) The files aren't urgent, but they are important. (Large .PSD files of images that I only have as smaller .PNG files otherwise, for example.)

I researched aimlessly online for a repair place. Everything always seemed too out of reach financially or too risky to be trusted. (Doesn't help that almost no site has pricing up for display online, so it is a time-waster to fill out forms, make calls during business hours, etc.) I'm not sure if I would trust myself to fix the flash drive myself, so my flash drive is just staying put for now. (My budget was originally $100, but I might be able to increase that. I know it isn't a lot, given the average cost of the service.)

Would anyone recommend a good place? I know some places offer to let you ship the device to them, but I'm weary unless I can be sure of some good recommendations. I also live in Southern California (Orange County, specifically), if anyone knows a good place in that location as well.

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,450 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have not used their service but they do have an Orange County Office. They are supposed to give a free quote. I don't know if the Orange County office does USB repair though.

http://datarecoveryservices.net/usb-data-recovery.html

http://datarecoveryservices.net/orange-county-data-recovery.html

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

One friend and a couple of work acquaintances have had success with these guys in Chatsworth, CA. http://drivesolutions.com/datarecovery/index.shtml

I have no experience with them however. So your mileage may vary.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Aurum

Aurum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

Thank you for your responses!

Data Recovery Services unfortunately gave me a quote of $800. (Yikes!) I have not contacted the one in Chatsworth yet. I located a place in La Habra, CA that seems promising. (Great reviews on Yelp, a quote within my financial reach, and a recommendation from a friend of a friend.) But I'll definitely contact the one in Chatsworth tomorrow before picking a place. I'll update this post if I have any success. Lots of people live in Southern California, so no doubt this thread might be useful to someone else with a similar problem.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Very much appreciated. Hope you're successful. Looking forward to additional information. Thanks again.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:06 AM

Thank you for your responses!

Data Recovery Services unfortunately gave me a quote of $800. (Yikes!) I have not contacted the one in Chatsworth yet. I located a place in La Habra, CA that seems promising. (Great reviews on Yelp, a quote within my financial reach, and a recommendation from a friend of a friend.) But I'll definitely contact the one in Chatsworth tomorrow before picking a place. I'll update this post if I have any success. Lots of people live in Southern California, so no doubt this thread might be useful to someone else with a similar problem.

You might also want to contact WeRecoverData. They are known to be good and have wide experience in recovering data from flash drives.I think they have several offices  located in California which operates 24/7. Just hope that the internal chip of your USB drive that holds your data isn't broken.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#7 Aurum

Aurum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

I did not end up calling Drive Solutions. (Kept forgetting all week to call during my breaks. I'll try harder tomorrow.) But I was able to get the connectors resoldered in La Habra (This was the place. http://www.kcomputerrepairoc.com/), but the guy said the problem seems to run deeper than the connectors, because it didn't work after the process. That's a shame. I will definitely have to save up money for the next few months for a deeper repair if I have to pull out $300 for it. (I wish I could just say it wasn't worth it, but it's the only source of the .psd version of a digital portrait that I had made of my late grandfather the week before, so I am pretty much willing to pay just for that one file.) But I sent a quote request to the place that you mentioned, Frozwire. I hope to hear back soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users