Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine just quits, not sure why..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Troll-Bot

Troll-Bot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hello, first post on the board and I'm already asking for help..

Let me preface this with the facts that I do know how to build a PC, and that I know requirements on cooling, power supply, etc. I'm still stumped right now.

I have been building a machine for the last couple of months. Mini-ITX format, AMD based:

MSI A88XI-AC (which is an RMAd board)

AMD A10-7850K (now cooled by a Corsair H105)

AMD Radeon R9 16GB 2400 MHz (running at AMP 2400)

Samsung Pro 128GB SSD

WD 1TB Black Series HDD

Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W PSU

Running Win 8.1 Pro

All installed in an NCase M1, with a CyberPower UPS providing clean power.

I previously had these components installed in a Silverstone ML07 case, and air-cooled the CPU with an undersized Noctua, a Zalman, then moved the whole system to the NCase and tried a Cooler Master Seidon 120M. Before the Corsair unit, the CPU would regularly heat close to 50C in the BIOS(!). But considering the immense cooling power the H105 provides, and the fact that I know I installed it correctly (good contact with CPU, no bends in tubes, pulling air in through the radiator), it's simply not possible for the CPU to overheat, especially because I don't hear the fans kicking up significantly due to increased heat. I manually pushed the fans to 100% capacity, and I noticed a huge bump in db, so that ain't it.

Now, the problem that I am having is that the machine will just quit in the middle of operation. I tried two games (Witcher 2, The Heist) and it just stops 5-10 minutes after starting the application (no BSOD though). It did work fine with Valley Benchmark running for over 5 minutes. Prime95 has produced some critical mistakes, though I have not tried it with the Corsair installed. The reason I have not is this: I tried to download the newest Catalyst Suite, and the second the download completed it just went dark, and I got this feedback: "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Considering the limited amount of components that are part of this machine, the solution should be simple, but I'm not sure which the most reasonable. I'm leaning toward getting an Asrock FM2+ Mini-ITX and see if that produces different results (the MSI has been surprisingly frustrating), or having the RAM (which comes with lifetime warranty) RMAd.

Thoughts? Any feedback would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Did you try running SFC /scannow?

For system info...

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 03 October 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

Sounds like a problem I used to have when I crossfired 2 HD Readeon 4870s ..almost seems like a GPU overheating issue 

#4 Troll-Bot

Troll-Bot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

@Kirbyofdeath

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I'll be able to repair the Win install and do those things some time today, or tomorrow. I understand that speccy might give you more clear information on what's going inside, but do you have an inkling of what these symptoms might be indicative of?

@Balzer413

I'd agree. Except the A10 has an integrated graphics unit, and is hence cooled by the H105. If it kicked up to 100% performance on cooling and then quit (which it shouldn't considering it's a 240x38mm rad), I'd agree. But it does not.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

IMO you are short on PSU power.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Troll-Bot

Troll-Bot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

For an APU that draws ~100W, two hard drives (<10W), one optical drive, and a AIO cooling solution (maybe 30W, if we're being generous)? That UPS I mentioned shows the draw, which is about 140-170W.

I know of people that are running that PSU + a R9 270X with plenty of juice to spare. I have serious doubts that's the problem.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

Can you try setting the RAM to it's default speed (not OC profile) and seeing if that improves things.  I've seen both Prime 95 errors and file corruption caused by RAM.

Also when the say "MSI A88XI-AC (which is an RMAd board)" do you mean it was bought as a B-grade item that someone else had returned?

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Troll-Bot

Troll-Bot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

Ugh, busy weekend..

But to clarify, I had to RMA a previous board because it died while flashing the BIOS. So this is straight from MSI, and should have been tested before I received it, or so I would hope are MSI's practices.

I shall lower the RAM speed to 1600 or 1866, when I can actually find the time. Will update when completed, thanks for the input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users