Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot - both Partitions have same Display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Whiplashvictim

Whiplashvictim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Good afternoon - new to the Site and not necessarily a Noob. I installed Win 10 Enterprise Tech next to my main play of Win 8.1 Pro w/ WMC in a simplistic Dual Boot by slpitting my Intel X-25M 160GB SSD into two equal Partitions, C and D.  I do realize that W10 is gonna be a bit rough around the edges and I've noticed that I( have the same Wallpaper fixed to both Start Screens no matter what I do to indivualize them. It would seem as if both Partitions are linked together, perhaps because I'm using only one (1) SSD to split the Partitions apart. Certainly not a biggie, but it's gotta be one of the damndest things I've seen on my Dell inspiron 1545 in some time. My guess is that this is a simple glitch of some sort. And, it beats the Hell outta me !  I'm a CET (certified Electronics Tech)  and  I begin to feel slightly dimwitted. Any ideas ?  No need to become a so-called "Insider"  with Microsoft on this. I'm betting that there's a Quick Study here that can pony up a timely, prompt answer. So, gentlemen (and, Ladies)  I'll be standing by.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 October 2014 - 02:57 PM.
Clearing white space. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Whiplashvictim

Whiplashvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

I think that I've got the answer !  On the main Partition hosting Win8.1 Pro w/ WMC,  it's correctly identified as the C (boot) Partition. However, on the other Partition containing Win 10 enterprise, it ALSO got labeled as the C Partition. Consequently, we have two OS's that are represented as the C on a single SSD Drive. Wow-w !  Conclusion : you shouldn't put two (2) Windows OS's onto the same Drive because something like this might happen. Fascinating !  Never had that happen when combining W 7 and 8.  I guess I'll need to go into disk Management and reletter the Partitions to be uniform going back and forth. Very interesting.  I'll bet that this happens all the time with Windows.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 October 2014 - 02:57 PM.
Trying to clear white space. ~ OB

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

That is not at all uncommon for the running system to portray itself as being on the C drive and when you boot to the other system, it also claims ownership of the C drive, but while in one system, the other boot drive will be named with another letter.

Those letters are just arbitrary and relative to the system they are running on.

Systems like Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 should automatically deal with a dual boot system, including providing the boot options during boot up, as well as being easy to repair, if one of them wont boot, by way of booting up with a repair disc to repair the "Startup", then all should work fine after that.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 KRAZY KEV

KRAZY KEV

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

i think its  because if you use windows 8 you log in using your hotmail account and the wallpaper is automatically transferred to the new windows 10 which you also log into using a hotmail account.  its nothing to worry about

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

What does a hotmail account have to do with logging into windows? Seems to me that you have to be logged into Windows first, THEN log into hotmail - after opening a browser that is.

~ OB :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 October 2014 - 03:26 PM.
Added clarifying clause. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 KRAZY KEV

KRAZY KEV

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

with windows 8 you have the option of logging in with your hotmail account as your user name.  this is most likely the cause.  it is nothing to do with dual boot or the partitions.  its all about what details are linked to your account

Edited by KRAZY KEV, 03 October 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#7 Whiplashvictim

Whiplashvictim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

Yes, Sir - thanks very much for a timely reply. And, yes, I log into Win8.1 Pro w/ WMC by using my Hotmail address and password so that I can see my full name along with the picture of the RockStar with a Mohawk rather than an arbitrary username/password. And, if true, that's one of the best troubleshoots I've encountered in a long time. My common sense told me that the two C  partitions were overlapping across the single Drive and it caused this glitch.  I would've bet money and posted odds that I sniffed it out.  But, on a larger scale, I don't know spit about the complexity of such a deep, sophisticated OS the likes of Windows. Obviously, I'm just slackjawed at the thought of this and I'm gonna go back and Test this conclusion of yours. I'll go into ACCOUNTS  and sign in with another of my aliases. If true, I tip my hat to you, Sir - simply because of the heads-up call you've provided. And, the more that I think about it, you might be Bullseye. Thanx again !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users