Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run any program, nothing. Disaster.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 oddbearus

oddbearus

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

My problem started when i was trying delete some adware through revo uninstaller. I accidentally deleted some system files (or at least i do belive i did, im not sure what actually happened), right after when i deleted it, i couldnt run anything. But first time i did managed to fix that, i just restored my sytem, and everything was fine. The second time i tried to delete that adware, there are 3 options ,there is secure, middle, and advanced option, (its about deleting the files which wasnt deleted by uninstaller of the program, u tried to uninstall).

First time i marked the advanced option, and the second time i did mark the middle one, and i thought it will not happen again, at it will not delete the same files again. And so I was wrong. Now i don'y have any restore points, since they just disapeard. And this is my school laptop, so im not even administrator of the laptop. The problem is I ca't run literally ANYTHING, totally nothing. All the filesbecame .Ink files, andmy pc cant finda program to run it. I cant run My Computer, Control Panel, just nothing. And another obstacle is that i cant just format the system, becouse since its my school pc, i have all the school projects there, Adobe programs, which i dont own, it was installed by my school, when i got my laptop. Any suggestion what can i do? I was looking for fix of this 2 days already, and nothing is helping me.

this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action - its the message im getting all the time.

Sorry for the english, but it's not my native language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you can boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Open the Start Menu and type cmd, when this appears under Programs right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

The Elevated Command Prompt will open.

In the Command Prompt type sfc /scannow, then press Enter.  Please notice the space between sfc and /scannow

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 oddbearus

oddbearus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

I already tried that. I can boot into safe mode, but by typing cmd and opening it, it says i cant open the file, since windows dont know what program to use to open it. But through linux i've changed the files sethc and cmd, so when i pres shift 5 times cmd opens. When i do the sfc scannow, it says Windows  resource protection could not start the repair service.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Short of contacting the administrator, there's nothing you can do as your options are too limited by the User account.

You really have no choice but to bring it to the person/administrator who handles those school machines.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

The instruction below are for a Repair Installation.  This will not effect your data.  If you follow these instructions as they are posted it will run the Startup Repair.  If this fails to resolve this, go through the procedure till you get to step 7b, in the System Recovery Options click on Command Prompt and try sfc /scannow.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 oddbearus

oddbearus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

I tried that also, the start up repair is not fixing the problem...

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Did you make the disc and run the repair from it?

I have an appointment in an hour and may not be back here until around 1:00 PM pacific standard time.

#8 oddbearus

oddbearus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

I did make bootable usb, not disc.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Did you try choosing Command Prompt in the System Recovery Options and run the sfc /scannow?

#10 oddbearus

oddbearus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

yep :C

#11 oddbearus

oddbearus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

maybe it is a way to get that fixed through linux?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

I had been in a rush to get things done before I had to leave for an appointment.  In my haste I misread your first topic.

By "this is my school laptop" I had thought that you meant that this is your laptop, which you use for school.  But see where you posted that you are not even am administrator, then it made sense.  Because of this I don't see any way you can run the requested scans.  I'm surprised you were allowed to install Revo.

You may be able to install Linux or Ubunto and retrieve your school work from the hdd.  But I would suggest that you contact your school and explain what has happened and see what they want to do with the computer before going any further.

#13 oddbearus

oddbearus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Well, it is actually my pc, which im paying for. As long as im in school this is like not yet completely mine. It says im administator, i have some administator privilliges, but i know i am not actually an administrator. I cant enter regedit, do any changes to regedit. I tried to get acces to administrator acc, or enable it. But i couldnt get it done coz i dont remeber which one,but cmd wouldnt do the command i did write. Maybe if i get acces to the administrator account, I may be able to do this? Giving my laptop back to the school is last thing i want tobe honest. I know its a way to get admin, since my friend did that already.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

IMO...you have not been granted admin status...and that affirms the fact that you are NOT the owner of the system.  It's immaterial if you think...that you will become the owner at the end of the school year...the school year has just begun :).

Forum rules prevent us from assisting you with privileges which have not been bestowed upon you by the real admins of the computer/school system.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

If you have any questions, please contact me via personal message.