Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Password

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

I have a dell inspiron 3847 desktop that I put a bios password on.Would anyone know how to remove it,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

remove the cmos batter for about 10 minutes then put it back it. should remove it

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Will that remove the password I created or the bios password dell put on.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

For starters, I doubt that clearing the CMOS will remove the bios password as Dell usually have a special chip that handles the bios password, otherwise it would be too easy to circumvent if all you had to do is remove the CMOS battery.

I was about to say that all you have to do us go into your bios to the Security tab and elect to change the bios password, at which point you'll be asked for your present PW then when you're asked for the new PW, you just leave it blank, but then you threw a speedbump into the mix, by talking about the Bios PW that Dell put in.

What Dell PW????

There is no such thing as Dell putting bios passwords on machines that they sell.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

To remove the Windows log-in password click on the Start orb, then typs cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear above the Search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

After the Elevated Commad Prompt opens type in netplwiz and press Enter.

User Accounts will open, you will need to remove the check from Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

Click on OK.

useraccount_zpsd857a02f.png

Another window will open requesting that you enter your user name and password, do this, then click on OK

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I knew if I didn't explain it would open up a can of worms.Let me explain:I googled and asked for help from this site on how to boot from CD.I got many answers as how to do it.Only one thing wrong,when I enter the bios to make the suggested changes,every option is locked.When I look at the screen,UEFI and Legacy menu have brackets around them.When you look in the upper right hand corner it says everything in brackets is locked.Ok,so I got the bright idea of putting on a password,thinking this would help.Now when I try to get into the bios it asks for my password so I type it in and go on from there.Except the options are still locked so I did that for nothing.

The only thing I want to do is remove my password,that's all.Went to best buy where I bought it and explained that it is locked and he said Dell puts there own password on to prevent damage.He gave me a few to try but did not work.Hope that explains it.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

Don't believe a word those guys told you.

It's all baloney.

You can start by removing your password, exactly as I described before.

all you have to do us go into your bios to the Security tab and elect to change the bios password, at which point you'll be asked for your present PW then when you're asked for the new PW, you just leave it blank

After that, you have to disable "Secure Boot".

If there is a "Fast Boot" option, disable that too.

Once secure boot is disabled, you should have access to the Legacy options too.

Edited by rockysosua, 03 October 2014 - 01:57 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thank-you for the help,got rid of the password.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

Anytime.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users