Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3...cannot boot/Will not post plz help

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 oggs

oggs

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

Yes this is my first post and to me it's a real headache, which I dearly want resolved;

Anyway, Hi folks really need some help with this plz...

ok my system

Lian Li 343B cube case
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 (Revision 4) Motherboard
Tegan 900 (U95) PSU
Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 1700 2X4 gb (2133mhz) Memory
3x HDD (80, GB) IDE ( 750, 2000 GB) Sata
Artic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
Palit GTX 580 1.5Gb Video Display/GPU card
AMD Fx 6300 Black Edition CPU
2x DVD/ROM Burners
Creative Audigy 2 zs Sound Card
9x Chassis fans

Miscilaneous items

Serial ATA SATA to PATA IDE 133/100 Adapter Converter UK EU (to be able to run IDE Hdd on Mobo
2x Phobya 4Pin Molex To 6x 3Pin Fan Splitter PCB (allows me to connect all the fans)

When I try and boot I get a BIOS beep error: 1 long followed by 3 short beeps

So I checked the manual which states the Bios is AMI/EIFI Dualbios anyway checking AMI codes online would suggest it is a Memory error??, however when I checked Gigabytes website it annoyingly says that the Mobo actually uses Award Bios and the error beep codes for that would suggest an AGP error??? wtf? the board does not have an AGP socket!, so is this indicating a GFX issue of some kind?

What you should know is That other than 1 of the HDD's all the components I have installed in this build (which hasn't fired up yet) are not from my previous M2N4-SLI mobo apart from the GFX/GPU card and I had 1 long and 3 shorter beeps error with that, this was after some gfx glitches on the screen, I tried rebooting a few times the final time I saw gfx glitches on thhe Post screen, then tried to reboot 1 last time and the same audio BIOS beep code error started...
Looked inside machine and noticed that the PSU my Hiper 660 had finally died..though it had lasted a long time...it was at this point I decided I would build a completely new system

So what do you think...?

First thing that niggles me is whether the 2133 is too fast for the Mobo?, from what I have read my understanding is the memory will work fine, but not at it's opttimum speed of 2133mhz...

Then of couse is the damn confusion with the BIOS..and what exactley the beep codes are pointing to? AMI AMI/EIFI EIFI or Award? or maybe something completely different...just like the Python..P
Anyone with a 100% certain answer?
Some forums mentiion updating the BIOS version but if this was the cause how do I use any utilities such as flash if the machine will not Post???

1 last thing my PSU only has 6 pin PCI-E cables and the card has 8+6 pin connections, if I use both 6 pin connectors would/could that be the reason for the beep codes? (have now ordered an adapter cable and will have this issue eliminated, so will soon know....

Thx for reading guys

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2014 - 06:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

You need the full 8 and 6 pin connectors for that video card. Try after you get that connector. How many watts is that power supply? I could not find it by the info Teagan 900. I am shocked if that is a 900w psu and it has no 8 pin power plugs. My 750w corsair has 4* (6+2) pins (the 2 extra pins are there but separate) making a total of 4*8pin power plugs.

Edited by zingo156, 03 October 2014 - 11:38 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

Zingo, it could be this one, although I'm puzzled why it would appear in a new build now as AFAIK Tagan haven't sold PSU's for a few years - Tagan TG900-U95

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

You need the full 8 and 6 pin connectors for that video card. Try after you get that connector. How many watts is that power supply? I could not find it by the info Teagan 900. I am shocked if that is a 900w psu and it has no 8 pin power plugs. My 750w corsair has 4* (6+2) pins (the 2 extra pins are there but separate) making a total of 4*8pin power plugs.

hey thx for responding  urm yeah well you will be shocked because it is 900 watt, do you think the lack of using an 8 pin connector could be responsible for the beep codes?

#5 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Zingo, it could be this one, although I'm puzzled why it would appear in a new build now as AFAIK Tagan haven't sold PSU's for a few years - Tagan TG900-U95

Appreciate the feedback..thx 

Well because I recently bought it. Guy said he had barely used it which ties in with the condition of the unit which is virtually BNIB , he has had it in storage, after reading some info on it, thought that at the price was worth it as it is 80+ gold certified and all the usual protection features as well as x2 fans, but unfortunately no 8 pin pci-e connector...end of puzzle..P

Edited by oggs, 03 October 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

hey thx for responding  urm yeah well you will be shocked because it is 900 watt, do you think the lack of using an 8 pin connector could be responsible for the beep codes?

Most likely yes, the code indicates a gpu failure. If you have a different known working video card to test with that only requires 6 pin connectors, you could quickly figure out if the psu and the mainbaord were working normally. Otherwise you will have to wait to get the 8 pin connector.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Most likely yes, the code indicates a gpu failure. If you have a different known working video card to test with that only requires 6 pin connectors, you could quickly figure out if the psu and the mainbaord were working normally. Otherwise you will have to wait to get the 8 pin connector.

Cheers , Well I do actually have another card  because I believed from the off that the problem was Video related especially with that I had experienced earlier:

quote"What you should know is That other than 1 of the HDD's all the components I have installed in this build (which hasn't fired up yet) are not from my previous M2N4-SLI mobo apart from the GFX/GPU card and I had 1 long and 3 shorter beeps error with that, this was after some gfx glitches on the screen, I tried rebooting a few times the final time I saw gfx glitches on thhe Post screen, then tried to reboot 1 last time and the same audio BIOS beep code error started...
Looked inside machine and noticed that the PSU my Hiper 660 had finally died..though it had lasted a long time...it was at this point I decided I would build a completely new system"

But hopefully with the 8 pin adaptor along with the other GtX 580 card, I will soon know and with any luck will be the end of this problem, but should that not be the case I will ask people for more advice but i hope it will not come to that....P

Maybe the next few posts I will make will be of a less problematic nature

Thx u guys  got my fingers crossed

Edited by oggs, 03 October 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#8 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hey i'm back

Well unlike the other forum where they all said it was either my PSU or the memory I think you guys as I also suspected guessed correctly

As soon as I used the cable to connect to both the 8 pin and 6 pin connectors the machine single beeped and the Bios screen came up    Hurrah!

However now I have some other issues One of the HDD's i am using is not SATA it is the old style  IDE (PATA) connection type, and this HDD is not showing in the Device list..on the BIOS screen....However I have used a converter PCB to convert the IDE connection from the drive to the SATA connectors  (PATA to SATA)

The other thing is that this same HDD is where my windows installation is installed, This is Windows XP professional  X64 Edition, so my first question is despite what it suggests on the Gigabyte forums is this OS compatible with with my Mobo (990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0)...because from what I have read people seem to be suggesting that this windows installation which is only updated to SP2 does not have the drivers the Mobo uses??

I did try reaching  the windows OS setup screen but just as it completes I get a BSOD error  0X0000007B 0XFFFFFADF8323L0

after reading some forums it would appear the error is HDD related  but what is the cause of this problem  the OS?, the physical HDD (damaged)?, the PATA to SATA converter not campatible?, something else??

Once again I need your help guys and I appreciate the help I have already recieved as it was clearly relevant

thx guys

Edited by oggs, 13 October 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

You would need to install a driver for windows xp to use the pcb pata to sata converter board. Unfortunately this would require you to put the hard drive back into the original computer and load the driver there (this might be extremely tricky to do and may cause a bsod even with the drive in the original computer after the new driver is loaded).

I do have a question though: are you trying to use this OS from a previous build or stock brand name computer? This is against Microsofts windows licensing policy so unfortunately I can not help you with this.

I highly recommend a new hard drive and a fresh reload. Using windows XP when it is no longer supported is not a great idea. No one will be writing drivers for XP anymore and security updates are no longer released.

Not only is xp outdated but using an older hard drive as a primary drive is like playing with fire. Hard drives are mechanical with many moving parts, they are subject to failure. The older they get, the closer they are to biting the bullet. Not always will every drive fail but I tend to upgrade my hard drive every year or 2 and use the old as a backup that isn't plugged into the machine.

#10 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thx for your response bud, Well my license type denotes  the OS if for 3 machines, so I think if I am right, this would not be breaking any licensing policies.

What I decided to do was to totally remove the Ide drive,and the PCB so that I can install the Os to one of the sata drives, this time all the connected devices show up, but I am once again getting a Blue screen error, which I believe is the same error as I had before, all the drives do show up in the bios now, the only other thing I can add to this, I am just slightly suspectful of my RAM as it is 2133mhz speed where as the mobo is not really designed for it, I read that all this means is that it would simply mean that the RAM  runs at a lower speed and there would be no other adverse effects, but I thought it best to try to verify this.

The Gigabyte site does say that Os is supported by the board but I am now having my doubts...

What do think is the best thing to check/do etc now, to try and resolve this please?

cheers appeciate your help as always

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Double check that the BSOD code is the same as before, if it is and you plugged the ide drive back into the computer, my guess would be that it is trying to boot to that device by default. You may have to go into bios settings to change the boot order. If it is a different code, post the new BSOD code here.

Ram can cause BSOD, generally I run memtest86+ to test ram initially. You can download that here: http://memtest.org/#downiso

I recommend at least 3 passes, you have to hit esc to end the test. If you get no errors (red lines of code) then the ram is most likely ok.

#12 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Just to confirm the IDE/PATA drive has been totally removed from the machine as has the possibly offending  PCB converter, and as posted above the BIOS now recognises and ID's all the connected media devices which are all SATA

I think that  ihis is the same as the other error, but just so you can hopefully verify its cause:

Here it is, which occurs  when I try to go to the windows setup screen, one interesting fact is if I try to install 3rd party RAID SCSI? drivers the machine does not blue screen immidiately but after the next stage.

If I don't it will show the BSOD instantly

Attached File  20141014_221841_resized.jpg   56.05KB   0 downloads

I would be surrprised but could you explain to me how can I use that link or the memtest .exe to test the memory, I cannot load windows so how can I run this from Dos?, there again im not sure how to boot in dos from bios or start up screen?

Thx cheers

Edited by oggs, 14 October 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

For memtest, you would have to burn the file to a disc and then boot to the disc.

Here is what your bug check is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559218%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

What version of windows are you trying to install on this? If it is XP you may need to make a custom disc to slipstream the AHCI driver into the installation. This is not an extremely easy process.

You could try booting into your bios and looking for the sata controller settings, there should be one there that allows you to change the sata setting from AHCI or RAID to IDE, PATA, or Compatibility. (Write down what it is before changing it, you will need to change it back).

After changing the bios setting to ide, pata, or compatibility, then you should be able to install windows XP, when it is fully installed, you could then install the correct AHCI driver from windows. After installing the AHCI driver you would need to restart and then go back into the bios to change the sata setting back to AHCI or RAID, whatever it was before.

Edited by zingo156, 15 October 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#14 oggs

oggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hmm damn after  reading your posts, from before I decided to google the error and I found certain youtube vids, indicating to change this to IDE mode, funny thing is I had changed it FROM IDE after I removed the IDE HDD thinking that is what it was for...P

So now  when I try install windows it no longer BSOD's but it just freezes when I reach the setup screen?

I did do one other thing whilst looking at the BIOS settings I noticed the memory speed was given as 1334mhz, my memory is 2133mhz and one of the xtreme profiles in this setting has that value, so I changed this to that xtreme profile I think this is correct anyway, but still cant install windows (i am no longer trying to boot windows, but make a fresh install, windows had been installed to my PATA/IDE hdd only.

Just wondering does nobody else have knowledge of these issues?, Mean nothing by it but it is strange it is only you who is replying and I thank you for that. 

I would be highly surprised if there was an issue with my memory, would I be able to save the program to a USB flash drive?, currently burning is not feasable for me..

cheers

EDIT:  After browsing the web a bit, I came across some pages which are advicing me to press f5 or f6 to install the AHCI etc drivers on the windows setup screen, so I followed this but it comes up with a screen where it states I do not have a floppy , is this what my problem is now?, if so I will need to get hold of a floppy drive to be able to install these components

Edited by oggs, 15 October 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

There is a bootable flash version of memtest: Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Make sure you backup the flash drive first as it requires a format.

I doubt this is memory related as of yet anyway.

It could be an issue with UEFI bios settings. You could try setting it to UEFI legacy mode.

You might also try removing all non essential hardware to load windows, basically only have 1 dvd drive, 1 hard drive, the onboard video (if your motherboard has it) and remove any other pci/pcie cards you have. Then try to install windows again.

Edited by zingo156, 15 October 2014 - 11:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users