Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gobbling up my data bandwidth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skan106

skan106

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

I recently noticed my monthly allotment of 10 GB of data was being used up in 2 days time!

Even when I'm not actively using a browser, my wireless connection status shows I can receive 800+ MB an hour.

So far no scans have found the offending malware.

HELP!!

Laptop running Win 7 64-bit OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Q_view

Q_view

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

The usual warning, make sure your wireless password is secure.  Also, are there any online backup programs running?  I had a 10GB cap with satellite for 7 years, I feel your pain, luckily a cellular option with 100GB became available.  Install this to track which programs use how much data.  http://download.cnet.com/NetWorx/3000-2085_4-10155904.html    On its icon by the clock, right mouse click on it, left click settings, check next to "ignore local traffic within the LAN", ok. Then you can right click again on the icon, usage report, the applications tab will show which programs used what (that didn't work until that was checked).  I copied some of these instructions from a post I made before within the last couple months, they may have changed the program since, haven't re-checked.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

FWIW:  I would never advise anyone to download these days from Cnet and various other sites...just based on the amount of intrusive programs and malware likely to be picked up from a site visit.

Louis

#4 Q_view

Q_view

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

FWIW:  I would never advise anyone to download these days from Cnet and various other sites...just based on the amount of intrusive programs and malware likely to be picked up from a site visit.

Louis

I see what you're saying, I guess whenever I have downloaded there I would always use the direct download option and not their installer if offered which is where the issue was, and I've never infected my own computer with anything (from there or anywhere), nor any that I have worked on or fixed.  The link I posted was simply the first search result that came up with some user reviews to look through (useful or not), and did not offer the "bad" download option.  Also, clicking download gets the actual company's installer, no malware, no extras, no browsers hijacked or settings changed, and nothing on that page itself.  And to confirm, it works like I stated above, and installs/functions fine.  But searching for the program itself gets the direct download link of course.  It is the program most often recommended on the satellite/cellular forums for figuring out what is using excessive data, it does its job fine.

Also to OP, it's often a good idea to get a router that you can set usage rules with if at home, to shut your connection down or other if you reach the cap, so you don't get overage charges.  Depending what you are connecting with, a wifi hotspot can connect wirelessly to the router, or if a USB stick, some routers support those.  Or if the service formerly called Homefusion, just the lan cable.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Direct Link To Program Developer

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users