Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer on my network may have been maliciously remotely controlled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 This_is_a_username

This_is_a_username

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

It stared with one of the computers in my house, on our network. The computer was running windows xp, and at the time hadn't been updated for a while. (Might have been part of the problem.) When the owner of that computer was playing a game he noticed keyboard buttons being pressed. The mouse wasn't being moved at all though. 

It was just the WASD keys at first, so he thought his keyboard was shorting out. Then a lot of other characters were being pressed, as if someone was trying to type words. So he selected a chat area and it typed the name of a TV show. So he immediately disconnected the Internet, and the typing stopped. At this point we assumed he was being remotely controlled. He had downloaded some rom editing programs, and he figured that was what gave someone access. He wiped the computer and reinstalled windows and now everything seems fine. 

My question is, since the typing stopped when the Internet was disconnected, does that mean it was 100% a remote controller issue? And if so, since it was only his computer being messed with, I was on mine at the same time when it happened, is it safe to say it was an issue with what he downloaded? Instead of someone hacking our network? Also, even though he reformatted, and our computers don't share any files or info between them (we are on the same network, but it is password protected and not broadcasting) should I be worried about my computer? I haven't had any problems yet, but I am extremely paranoid and afraid to use the Internet.

Edited by This_is_a_username, 03 October 2014 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

i say upgrade from XP only going to keep getting worse as time goes on

#3 This_is_a_username

This_is_a_username
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

i say upgrade from XP only going to keep getting worse as time goes on

I guess I should add that when he reinstalled windows it was with an unused copy of windows 7 We had lying around. So he has upgraded. My computer is windows 7 as well. So no one is using xp any more.

Edited by This_is_a_username, 03 October 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

It would appear there was access. If All the machines are now wiped and reinstalled they are gone. Most likely the download was infected. How and where the download was from could be the key as to how the infection came in. He looks like the victim and the source so his cleaning has stopped it.

Six Tips to Improve Your Router’s Security
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users