Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roku

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

I asked the admin to create a section for streaming devices where you have MP3's and etc. So in the meantime I am posting it here for tired of waiting.

Any user's of the Roku? I am constantly browsing forums, channels, the latest streaming services (recently cancelled Netflix due to my lack of use). I am right now using Amazon Prime since there is other benefits past the streaming and whatever free channels I can find which there is a lot.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejonestexas

ejonestexas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have 3 devices.  First I have an older Sony Streaming Box this is in fact the best out of the three.  You can find one on ebay for $35 these days.  The model number is smp-n200.  Sony updates the channels frequently.  It also has a USB port that you can copy movie files to a memory stick (mp4, mov) and watch them.

Number 2 is a google chomecast ($35) which is good for sending YouTube's to your TV, not much more

My TV is a Visio it has a usb port (mp4, mov) and has a few apps, Netflix , crackle

The only free apps are crackle, YouTube, snag films

I may try a Roku at some time

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Right now I haven't had a desire to go past Roku but the Sony one you listed sounds interesting. On my downtime I will check it out.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

(3) Roku 2's in my home... (2) Chromecasts..... one smart TV which streams and a couple BluRay players that stream.

Did you have questions about the Roku or just curious if others use them?

I like them because of how fast they go from "off" (standby) to Netflix/Amazon Prime to the show I want to watch.

The BluRay players are quite a bit slower.

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

I am a long time user and I learn of new things here and there so putting it out there in case there is a new channel or service I missed that I can learn about. A buddy found something of my interest that isn't easily found that works on Roku: I will leave it at that.

I am considering also getting the Amazon Fire TV box due to some of the cool games on there. 

***Note***

#6 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I am a long time user and I learn of new things here and there so putting it out there in case there is a new channel or service I missed that I can learn about. A buddy found something of my interest that isn't easily found that works on Roku: I will leave it at that.

I am considering also getting the Amazon Fire TV box due to some of the cool games on there. 

Roku, and some of the others, are quite customizable.

"Unofficial" channels, etc.... found all over the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users