Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does backup software not simply copy files as they are?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

I have a few Seagate external HDs.  Previously, I had other discs (that failed!) but these  seem quite good.

They come with a Seagate backup management system that you run - it wanders off and makes a backup of your PC/Laptop and promises that it will be available for restore if you need it.

My experience, admittedly some years ago, was that these proprietary systems make a sort of encrypted backup which requires their systems to restore.  No software, no restore.  My B-I-L had exactly that problem last year.  Backed up using some particular software and when he needed to restore, got some computer speak for "not possible"

What I've done with my current externals (one in my home country, one here on the boat) is copy my photos, my music and documents from the laptop to the Drive, file by file.  This is irritating when I want to refresh the back up because all I want to do is save the changes across, not the bulk of the originals.

Why do all these programs insist on backing up in some obscure code format and not simply file-to-file.  If it was file-to-file, I could go get a file I accidentally deleted etc.

Why make things complicated?  Or is there a $$$ issue here I am missing?

Hoges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

When they perform a backup they are compressing the files to save on storage space on the backup drive.

Also when they perform incremental backups, they are only backing up differences between files that have changed and not the entire file. This saves considerable time and space when performing the backups.

#3 Ugur891

Ugur891

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Had a similar experience many years ago. Was running a backup after a very long time without one using Acronis and about an hour into the game, the drive died in the laptop.

I was hoping the target drive still has something useful, but no! Even though it had backed things up, I couldn't use them, everything was lost because it didn't finish!

That experience made me a firm believer in file backup software. At work we use CommVault and BackupChain for different environments and pay close attention to the container file issue. It's OK as Lawrence writes when you make full image backups of your hard drives, but when you have critical business data, most users prefer to have both files and disk images.

Ideally we try to use different software and independent media for the same data.

My colleague argued, to top our paranoia we now must "back up to the cloud" soon.... Don't know about that one, thinking about our slow internet lines, sounds too futuristic for now....

The restore issue is also a good argument. I think most vendors do indeed make a $$$ issue out of it. Then the question arises how are you going to restore a 20 year old backup when the product no longer exists? Hence, we always want files directly accessible for archives...

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

What I've done with my current externals (one in my home country, one here on the boat) is copy my photos, my music and documents from the laptop to the Drive, file by file.  This is irritating when I want to refresh the back up because all I want to do is save the changes across, not the bulk of the originals.

I see Grinler has answered your main query.  However, if you are copying your changes across manually then that's not a very efficient way of doing things - especially so if there are lots of changes scattered across several directories/folders.  What you need is synchronization software.  There are many such programs, but here are a few:

I'm actually using Toucan on Windows 8.1 without any issues.

#5 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for that info.  I've looked at the three mentioned and as what you would call an enthusiastic amateur I like the look of FreeFileSync.  I will explore all three, though.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I have another open question over in Android OS if anyone cares to offer a suggestion on the second question I asked in that post re a new tablet.  Samsung compartmentalise their "Service" and won't deal with tabs bought outside their own little silos.  Since I bought mine in Greece (I just happened to be walking past the big electronics chain there and saw it advertised in the window), Australia refuses to look at it.  My fault, I broke my golden rule about not having any Samsung products)

Hoges

#6 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

I looked at the three backup utilities in depth and selected FreeFileSync.  Ran it yesterday for the first time - worked well.  Will put it on Laptop #2 in a day or so.

Thanks for the advice.

Hoges

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:46 PM

Glad something worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users