Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

For some unknown reason almost certainly nothing to do with any Sandboxie failure, my computer was infected by a very serious malware/virus infection. It affected Chrome, Firefox and IE. The Homepages were affected and also browsing. I was also getting unwanted pop-ups.

Due to the panic, I cannot remember what the infections names were, something like Rocket, Bubbles** and a t**search.com virus. It took me all day slogging away to get all the infections out of my system.

The t**search.com virus is described on the web as being very difficult to erase. I thought the articles said it was new. Something called Smartbar was on my computer and a Coupons program plus a Shopping Helper, all of which were large programs - I got rid of them.

Eset scooped up about 40 files, SuprAntiSpyware another 30 or more, AVG about 20.and Emsisoft EK another 40 or so. The infection had gone all over my system. At one stage, Chrome would not open, just froze. I also used TDSSkiller, nothing found.

After all  that AV work, I also did a  manual search and deleted any files I recognized. I then used RevoUninstaller to get rid of the programs, which were still listed. The normal Control Panel way would not even touch them with no uninstallers.  Revo is marvelous. None of the programs had uninstallers, but Revo just carried on and  found an enormous number of left-overs, mostly Registry items, all over the computer, perhaps about 70, which I then deleted. Revo finds files that none of the AV programs detect providing you know the program you wish to delete..

After all that  effort, my computer appears to be back to normal, it has worked perfectly now for over 24 hours with not a sign of infection.

This may not help anybody, but I describe my situation for general information and to say what an excellent job those AV programs plus Revo did. All that complex effort would have taxed the brain of any malware expert. The malware/virus infections are listed on the web providing you know their proper names. I was too panic stricken to take accurate notice.

Edited by Beaker77, 03 October 2014 - 09:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users