Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think i am going to like W10 But.......

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KRAZY KEV

KRAZY KEV

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

I installed windows 10 (32bit) last night alongside XP and 7.  The installation went smootly and only took 16 minutes from the option to boot from the disc to the first appearance of the desktop.  My PC is not the most modern running a Core 2 Duo E8400 with 2gb Ram and an ATI HD3450 video card.

I was surprised that all except one driver is included in windows.  That one missing driver gives rise to a big BUT.  At present there is no driver from windows update or ASUS.  The driver is needed for my Asus D2X soundcard.  The only sound I have at the moment is from the HDMI output of the video card but as you are aware speakers built into a monitor are generally crap to say the least.   Windows 8:1 drivers dont work either

First impressions are very promising especially the return of the start button.  In my opinion its a cross between the original windows 8, windows 8:1 update 1 and windows 7 all rolled into one. 

If you asked me if i would upgrade to W10 I would say yes BUT only if a driver for my soundcard becomes available.

I will be keeping a very close eye open for the appearance of a soundcard driver between now and April 2015.

Between now and then i will be testing various different software that i normally use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Did you check Windows Update?

Control Panel >.Windows Update, click Change settings in the left panel,

When the Change settings window opens, Tick Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows and click OK to apply the change and close the window.

I did this with my second Win 10 installation on a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422 and magically the Toshiba Hotkey driver appeared in the update list and installed without a hitch.

So far 2 for 2 with both installations as a dual boot with Windows 7 one 64bit, one 32bit. Neither is linked to a MS account. The way I understand Windows 10 to be, it tries to apply settings to any system using a MS account. I haven't proved that yet but I have 5 other systems to install and try on.

Rock On My Friend! :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users