Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

popped psu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:04 AM

I was on my computer today and all,of a sudden the PSU popped, the power cord came out and computer shut down of course, I plugged it back in and nothing. What would of caused this and if that happens what are the chances of the motherboard and everything else being OK..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

I was on my computer today and all,of a sudden the PSU popped, the power cord came out and computer shut down of course, I plugged it back in and nothing. What would of caused this and if that happens what are the chances of the motherboard and everything else being OK..

Stupid question on my part but are you sure it was the power supply that popped, and not the speakers?

If your power cable was barely plugged in, and falling out, I could certainly see the interruption of power causing a speaker to "pop".

Just a thought.

~~  Edit: Nevermind, reading your question a second time, I see you have no power now.  I misunderstood.  Sorry.

Edited by TNF, 03 October 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#3 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Yes, there is no light on back of PSU and no power to motherboard

#4 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thankfully nothing was damaged. Took it to a place in town and the only charged $22.50 to make sure that was the problem and $30 for a PSU.. Id of just done it myslef but they had a no returpolicy on hardware

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

Does a different device in the same outlet have power? I have never seen a power supply pop out a cord, this would be the first time if it stands true.

Power supplies can pop when they fail. Generally it is a capacitor that blows. That said. Try it in a different outlet or at least verify the one you are trying to use is working.

If you have a good working outlet and have no power, replace the psu. Sometimes when psu's fail they can take out other hardware with them. It is rare but happens. Most likely your other hardware is ok. It was nearlly always cheap power supplies that took out hardware with them from my experience.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

Well, I posted that only a few minutes too late. I see you have already corrected the problem. Happy computing!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

Does a different device in the same outlet have power? I have never seen a power supply pop out a cord, this would be the first time if it stands true.

Power supplies can pop when they fail. Generally it is a capacitor that blows. That said. Try it in a different outlet or at least verify the one you are trying to use is working.

If you have a good working outlet and have no power, replace the psu. Sometimes when psu's fail they can take out other hardware with them. It is rare but happens. Most likely your other hardware is ok. It was nearlly always cheap power supplies that took out hardware with them from my experience.

Unless I just forgot I unplugged it first then yes the cord came out.. Would it of had anything to do with my new graphics card with a recommended PSU of 400 and only using 250 at the time. its just a Radeon 5450

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

It very well could be. If you over stress a psu you will burn it out more quickly, I am actually suprised it ran at all. If you stress an older psu they fail much more quickly. It is always best to have more than enough power at least 10% over what is recommended. I generally give myself 20% headroom on builds and I have never had a psu failure on my personal comptuers after using that method.

Lightning kills more psu's than just about anything else though. After a storm I generally got about 20-30 customers with bad psu's.

#9 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

It very well could be. If you over stress a psu you will burn it out more quickly, I am actually suprised it ran at all. If you stress an older psu they fail much more quickly. It is always best to have more than enough power at least 10% over what is recommended. I generally give myself 20% headroom on builds and I have never had a psu failure on my personal comptuers after using that method.

Lightning kills more psu's than just about anything else though. After a storm I generally got about 20-30 customers with bad psu's.

We had bad storms last night computer was off though.. The old PSU did not have its own power switch.. This morning it ran for about 20 minutes.. With that card it went a few weeks, if that was the problem. I wasn't him g it was normal,activity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users