Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Process 80%> Cpu Usage?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

Hi everyone,

i have been having a really annoying problem. A process called SYSTEM in XP Task Manager is taking up at least 80% of my CPU!. To be clear it is Not 'System Idle Process' (which does look as if it runs high), it simply called 'SYSTEM.

I have checked system multiple times for Malware, Spyware, Viruses etc... using multiple programs and boot-time scans..so i have came to the conclusion it is not some sort of malicious program.

I googled! it to see any solutions, with no real solution to the problem except that it is due to a faulty piece of hardware or IO port or USB...so i unplugged everything and reconnected everything one by one..lol..no luck doing that.

opened the computer up and disconnected all PCI-E cards etc...and reconnected them, again no luck...

Updated all my drivers and i am now running out of ideas why my CPU is being taken up by this one process.

The computer took me some time and a bit of money to build and it is disappointing that this odd problem is stopping me getting..well any use out of the computer..its just too slow.

SO i am open to any ideas why this process is causing this problem.

Thanks
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

I just love people who build their own computers. It's what made America (and a lot of other countries) great. I've never had the stones to do it myself.

I looked at my Task Manager and it showed a number of processes (svchost.exe, sdhelp.exe, spools.exe) with SYSTEM as the User, but no processes named "system". Have you thought of "Ending the process"?

I can't recommend doing it, because I can't answer the question, "What do I have to loose?", but if it was me, I might just try it as a last resort. Of course I might want to shoot myself afterward. Can you say, "Kablooie"?
Might be a good idea to wait until some of the heavier-hitters weigh in. Good luck.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thanks For The Reply.

Well since i posted i have been trying anything and everything to solve it. The Process is called "system" and does appear in my task manager, but there is no .exe on the process just "system". If i try to end the process it cant be done as it is "system critical" so i tried "end process tree" which gave me a RPC countdown of 60 seconds until the system would shutdown.

With more googling i found that someone had this problem and fixed it. The fix was to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the WINS tab of the properties to TCP/IP...so i decided to give it a try and after my ethernet connection to my router disabled and i rebooted and the internet and network was working normally and SO far the "system" process in Task manager is back at 0-2%, so right now i am happy but still unsure how this fixed it and if it is a real solution to my problem.

i also tracked down a more advanced task manager called "Warecase extended task manager" with a 21-day trial, this is quite good as it shows the process a single process are attached to ( the process tree), the XP does one does not have that feature. The processes you mentioned are attached to "system" inc. svchost.exe so i am now keeping a good look on these processes too to see any odd cpu usage.

Thanks Again
Stu G

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:53 AM

Hi Stu G. Glad you sorted your problem.

If you look thru the 'freebies section' here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html : you will find a lot of good stuff.

One I use to expand out Windows Task Manager is called What's Running. You may care to check it out.

Cheers

BTW. System Idle is just what it says, the amount of CPU waiting to be used - just info, not good not bad.

Edited by rowal5555, 13 June 2006 - 02:58 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:50 AM

Thanks For The Response

I am going to give "Whats Running" a go, cheers. That Freebies Section is really good too! Lots of stuff.
Stu G

#6 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

Hello again everyone,

I seem to be back at square one with my "SYSTEM" process problem. When i boot or leave computer idle it randomly goes up to 80+% of my CPU. I have check all types of viruses, malware over and over.

There is a few things i have noticed, it is not USB fault and i reported I fixed the problem by disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP, when i did the system was running fine and to note the system process mem usage was 240k and was causing no problems. For some reason now its back to 236k mem usage and spiking the CPU randomly, I now have NO ideas why this is the case, and i am close wiping and doing a clean install of my OS. I have an inclination it could be something to do with Networking. I pulled my Rj45 cable out of my Netgear router and it went down again.....

Any ideas would be helpful, before i have to do the inevitable and install Windows again. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Stu G

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

Hello Stu, im sorry but i do not have any advice on how to fix your issue, but i just wanted to let you know i also have 'system' showing in my task manager, however it is not using up any of the cpu. It may very well be to do with ethernet,but thats just a guess.I too am using ethernet.

I will look into this though,although im not sure,like yourself,on getting an answer,i will post back if i do find one.

Just wanted to let you know before you do a full re-install.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

This sort of problem requires a lot of patience to isolate.

Try killing one process at a time in Task Manager and see if it fixes the problem - then kill another and so on.

Also, you may want to try Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com for a more in depth view of what's happening on your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Do you have a multi-computer network set up and if so are there computers that are other versions of Windows (not XP) set up on the network?

Win 9X op systems use a different protocol than does W2K and Win XP and that may be your "system" process (which may be NETBUI.)

Look and see in network connections.

#10 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hello

My network is a simple wireless and lan network of My desktop, 3 laptops, and another 2 desktop. This is the only XP Pro OS, all the rest are XP Home and One laptop is XP Media Edition. Not using any 9x Windows now, and there are mostly only 2 computers on at once using the network.

I will investigate the NETBUI process on the comps, anyway.

Thanks
Stu G

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

A lot of folks will recommend enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP as it is a protocol that is much simpler to work with. That being said, I don't recommend it because it is very outdated and don't have confidence that it can handle today's network traffic.

Also, check to see if NetBIOS is listed as a protocol in the Network Connection's properties. If so, I'd try disabling it there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Click on "start", then "help" and type in "system cpu usage".

That will give you access to 15 Microsoft knowledgebase articles on high system usage.

The following article by Fred Langa may help you troubleshoot what is causing the problem:

http://langa.com/newsletters/2006/2006-01-12.htm#3

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 June 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#13 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

Thanks, for the advice. I will check my protocols and read the articles
Stu G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users