Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSL Error "Cannot connect to real site" after upgrade all browsers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dwbowes

dwbowes

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

So i just upgraded my computer and everything seems to be working fine except the internet browsers! There are only a few sites i can go to without being directed to an error page... do i have a virus? or is there something going on internally from the upgrade? (btw i received this computer without the hard drives and installed my old ones).  

Any ideas or questions are welcome, please help me make my comp work well lol!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hi

Congratulations getting your hardware issues sorted out. If I remember right, this system came to you without a hard drive and you said you had one to install.

Of course you did a fresh install of the operating system... right? You are not trying to run this system on an old installation from another system I hope!

If you performed a fresh install skip the next line and please proceed with the rest of this post.

If you didn't do a fresh Installation, please consider doing so before anything else. You are doing more harm than good if you are trying to use an installation from another system on this one!

You mentioned needing drivers for USB which should be available from the motherboard manufacturer or if you have an add-in card, they will be available from the card manufacturer.

If you would be so kind as to download and install Speccy: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Run the program. When Speccy finishes  Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes.

Please copy/paste the link in the Publish Snapshot window to your next post.

Please download MiniToolbox: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Launch the program, check all entries and click GO, Please copy/paste the results of the scan in your next post

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted

#3 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hi

Congratulations getting your hardware issues sorted out. If I remember right, this system came to you without a hard drive and you said you had one to install.

Of course you did a fresh install of the operating system... right? You are not trying to run this system on an old installation from another system I hope!

If you performed a fresh install skip the next line and please proceed with the rest of this post.

If you didn't do a fresh Installation, please consider doing so before anything else. You are doing more harm than good if you are trying to use an installation from another system on this one!

You mentioned needing drivers for USB which should be available from the motherboard manufacturer or if you have an add-in card, they will be available from the card manufacturer.

If you would be so kind as to download and install Speccy: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Run the program. When Speccy finishes  Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes.

Please copy/paste the link in the Publish Snapshot window to your next post.

Please download MiniToolbox: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Launch the program, check all entries and click GO, Please copy/paste the results of the scan in your next post

Hi Old Rocker, thank you for the reply!  Currently i have not re-installed windows (i'm running vista as of now) or done a hard drive wipe.  I'm going to upgrade to windows 7 or 8 soon but as of now i don't have my installation disks or anything.  I think they got lost during my last move :( do you still think i can install speccy and the minitoolbox without worrying about some sort of errors? I think i may have two anti-virus programs running or something but i can only find one... i think this because some of my game installers and updaters wont connect to the network and i think it may be a firewall or some security thing.

Thanks!

~Dan

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

If you are running 2 Anti Virus programs you should remove one or the other. Most of the time they contradict each other and cause you problems. Pick the one you want to keep, update it and run a complete scan of your system.

If you have access to another machine you can download Speccy and MiniToolbox and transfer to the machine in question .Also... Microsoft offers Windows Defender Offline. I have used this many times and is an asset. It scans the computer at boot time.

Check it out here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users