Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is so important in automatic maintenance that it has to run daily?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:04 AM

I am sure that I don't have to defragment my hard drive, run a virus scan, or do whatever automatic maintenance does daily, but yet, I have no choice but to run it daily.  I changed the task scheduler so it runs weekly, but when I restart my computer, it resets back to running it daily.

I set automatic maintenance to run at exactly 3AM central time daily, well there is no choice but to run it daily.

Another annoying part of this is when idle maintenance runs.  I set it so that it runs 15 minutes after my laptop starts being idle.  It runs 4 minutes after my laptop starts being idle.  It is getting annoying, because there are some programs I run that don't require any user input that is slowing down because of the automatic maintenance.  I want to still use automatic maintenance, but whatever I set up in task scheduler, it makes no difference.

I am manually running maintenance right now, and I bet that when it is finished, which would be in several hours, when it passes 3AM, i would be back to square one because the automatic maintenance is trying to run the next day's maintenance.  I have yet to test whether automatic maintenance will run even though my computer was off or hibernating for a whole day.  It would pretty much be guaranteed that there would be no disks to defragment, or any new viruses would pop up.

Another thing I don't like is Microsoft's definition of idle.  Automatic maintenance is supposed to run while the computer is idle.  Apparently idle means you press any keys or move the mouse.  You can run some DVD burner program or run CPU intensive games, not touch any keys or move the mouse, and the PC would be considered idle and automatic maintenance would start, and there is no way, to my knowledge to not let automatic maintenance to run while another program is running.  My definition of idle is no programs running, just the desktop.

There is this trivia game I play, and I like to listen to the game show host talk, without touching the buttons or trying to answer the questions.  This means the laptop is idle.  The round usually lasts around less than 15 minutes for 7 questions before I have to press a key to play again or quit the game.  Every time I try to run the game, the game would slow down and become choppy at around the fourth question, and that would be 4 minutes after I execute the game and not touch any keys or move the mouse afterwards.  After the game is finished, and I press some keys, the game becomes normal again, until after 4 minutes of not pressing any keys or moving the mouse.  Since I am listening to the game rather than playing it, I would not want to get off the bed just to press keys or move the mouse to reset the 4 minute idle timer, which should have been 15 minutes in the first place like I set it up to be in the task scheduler.  It would be a bonus to control when automatic maintenance doesn't run, like when I run a certain program, and as long as that program is running, automatic maintenance doesn't run, but even if there was such a feature in windows 8, given that what I change in task scheduler makes no difference, I don't think the idea of not running automatic maintenance when a certain program is running would work either.

I do have a few questions.  is automatic maintenance coded so that it runs when it needs to be run, or it always runs daily even though there is not any significant maintenance tasks that must be performed?  What I am saying is, would automatic maintenance be smart that it wouldn't run a disk defragment daily, or that it knows that my laptop is hibernating for a whole day, and knows that there probably wouldn't be any new viruses so it doesn't run a virus scan during maintenance? I heard that it pretty much is a waste of time to defragment your hard drive daily, and that it should be a monthly task.  I don't know.  I don't know who in their right minds would think maintenance tasks that takes hours to complete should be run daily.  It's like as if as long as I am not touching my laptop, maintenance runs every time.

If Automatic Maintenance runs even if there is nothing to maintain, such as when the laptop is off for a week, and yet, automatic maintenance has a week worth of scheduled tasks it must perform when the laptop powers on, which may be the case as to why automatic maintenance is taking so long, becuase it probably has to do a weeks worth of mainenance even though my laptop isn't really on most of the time, then I am going to call it the automatic maintenance OCD.

Edited by signofzeta, 03 October 2014 - 01:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

Not sure about every scheduled maintenance task, but you can easily control the scheduling of disk defrag.  On the Control Panel, under Administrative Tools, is a selection called Defragment and Optimize Drives.  On my laptop (Win 8.1) the choices are Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.  You can also control which drive(s) get defragged.  I don't see any apparent way to schedule Disk Cleanup or Windows Defender scans. 

#3 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

I turned my automatic maintenance off, it,s on You Tube, it worked for me.  Just type in You Tube search, ( disable automatic maintenance ) Thanks, Chuck

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 October 2014 - 01:51 PM.
removed unnecessary quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users