Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tinywall won't unblock some programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

2 programs I cannot get tinywall to allow access, is: Avast Anti-virus and Apple Safari browser.

Avast needs to internet access to update, and Safari needs access... because it's a web browser.

With Safari, I try whitelisting by window, click on the safari window and nope, still can't connect to the internet. I try selecting "whitelist by executable, and selecting C:\program files (x86)\safari\safari.exe

And it doesn't work. I try pretty much the same thing by going to application exceptions, choosing that exact file, and giving it full access. And it doesn't work. I try whitelisting by window and clicking on the safari window, and that doesn't work.

I try whitelisting by process, still doesn't work.

I disable tinywall, and safari connects to the internet with no problem.

This is the same with Avast. Actually, with avast, I have chosen many many different files because I am not 100% sure which exact executable or set of executable are needed for an update, so I have given clearance to every .exe and .dll in the avast program folder. But just like Safari, tinywall doesn't let it go through until I disable tinywall.

And I think there is another program tinywall doesn't like either, but I can't remember.

Any tinywall uses out there have a remedy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:58 PM

Whitelisting does not seem to take effect.
or: Some programs can access the internet even when they shouldn't be able to.

You probably have Avast! Antivirus, AdMuncher, Mailwasher or similar security software installed. In the following passages we use Avast! as an example, but it goes for any software that works similarly.

Some shields of avast! work by redirecting other applications to the local computer, then making the internet connection themselves instead of the original program. As a result, avast! needs to be unblocked instead of your browser, for example, to be able to access the internet. The recommended solution is to unblock the "avast! Antivirus" service in TinyWall. However, now that avast! is unblocked, all applications that are redirected to avast! are also unblocked. It is not possible to control those applications one-by-one any more, because they never access the internet, they only communicate locally with your antivirus.

A second solution is to disable the corresponding avast! shield (for example, the Web Shield), but this is not recommended because you'd loose that protection of avast!. However, if you want to be able to block/unblock each and every application separately using TinyWall, this is your only choice.

http://tinywall.pados.hu/faq.php

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hi RB_Kandy
Is there any specific reason that you wish to use this program (since it causes so many problems) ??

You do not mention the Operating System you are running, as Windows Firewall was made better from Windows 7 and onwards.

There are also many other free programs that may suit your system much better than the one you are "testing".

(Personally) I would not continue to use a program that causes these problems, unless you have a need to use it ...............

Regards -

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

Ultim, the developer of TinyWall is quite active over at Wilders. For example, currently active thread

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/beta-testing-tinywall.309739/

Just ask there about your problems, or find some earlier thread where it may have already been discussed..

EDIT: details about what I do with another firewall

Few .exe examples from XP - don't know if the same holds on Win7+
avast\avastsvc.exe needs TCP/UDP in and out with Local host all ports
avast\setup\instup.exe just needs out by TCP
avast\setup\avast.setup used for av updates needs TCP out to port 80
avast\avastemupdate.exe needs out by TCP just to their proxy port localHost port 12080
avast\avastui.exe is GUI, why it wants TCP out by http and https (80,443) I never figured out and I didn't limit to specific remote servers.
So it looks like five files might be seen by your firewall.

All internet facing applications need rules for the proxy port on localhost.
All other applications should be prohibited from using port 12080 so that they will not tunnel through the proxy. Avast uses another 8-10 proxy ports, some for mail, some for games, etc - you need to find all that out on the avast forum.

Edited by tos226, 03 October 2014 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users