Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen w/ Desktop Geforce GTS 250

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycoba

Jaycoba

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

What I have;

::TOWER::
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model: GM5472
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.5GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS (Vista - not the best but will do for now)
Monitor: Generic TV - Sharp
Video Card: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=25SGF6HX1RUV (Mine has two [2] 6-pin PCI power connectors)(Also not out of box so I do not have the installation disc; Driver downloaded from this site)

Things I've tried;
1.) Inserting it into the tower, powering on with HDMI cable attached. Gateway logo comes up then goes to black screen. Got it to the windows loading bar but to the same effect. Cannot get to Safe Mode before it goes black.

2.) Uninstalling all video drivers, running CCleaner and repeating above process. Same outcome.

3.) Attempting to install driver without device inserted. Obviously didn't work.

4.) In BIOS, set to PCIEx and repeating 1 and 2. Not much else I can change in BIOS that I've noticed would make any difference with the video card.

I am currently in safe mode with networking with the video card placed on the table. I've deleted all video drivers for a 3rd time due to automatic update which I've turned off. From what I've read, the card is working if I can get the Manufacturer logo and the Windows loading screen; it has output. However, it has only made it to the windows loading screen once. I have noticed that when I would turn my PC back on that it seemed to black out a little sooner each time.

What can I do at this point to get this damned video card to work if it isn't already a lost cause?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

If it isn't getting to the boot screen at all, drivers are not the cause. At that point drivers are not even loaded. If it's dirty or dusty you can try spraying it with canned air, also it might be worth inspecting it for any physical signs of deterioration. Be careful of any ESD and take proper precautions. Also, you should still be able to install drivers despite the device not being inserted. Automatic detection will not work but you can still install if you have the driver installation file saved. As for clearing drivers, I prefer using this program in combination with CCleaner, it seems to give me the cleanest results.

With all that being said, it sounds like you have a dead card. =(

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

This computer came with integrated graphics, so I'm guessing that you added a dedicated graphics card.

You posted that you are booted into Safe Mode with Networking.  Safe mode has a limited number of applications and drivers, the graphics driver being used there is a native Windows driver.  This is why you still have graphics after uninstalling the other drivers.

I would suggest downloading the Nvidia drivers for the integrated graphics and installing them, then see if you can boot normally.

It sounds like you dedicated graphics card is or has gone south.

Edited by dc3, 03 October 2014 - 12:19 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jaycoba

Jaycoba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

I apologize for the very late reply. BUT it was a MoBo issue and everything works fine. Only problem is that the temp is usually always in the 90+ range... I've cleaned every nook and cranny with canned air but that only works for about half an hour. The display cuts out sometimes but I'm guessing that's a safety feature.

Anyways, thanks for the help!  I really appreciate those who take the time for others with questions. :)

#5 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Temperature in the 90+ range is very bad, at that point your hardware is being degraded and so component lifespan will be greatly reduced. You say the display cuts out - that is extremely terrible. This means your card is hitting its TJ Max, the maximum temperature the card can withstand before shutting itself off, in order to prevent literally frying itself. This failsafe isn't always reliable, it is not rare that temperatures will exceed this 

I would recommend cleaning and replacing the thermal paste on the heatsink of the card (if you have any) and checking if the fan on the card is still working. Also, make sure that the flow of air inside your case is unobstructed and case fans are working as well, as these temperatures are very abnormal.

Is only your GPU getting this hot?

Unofficial iOS Genius

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users