Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locks on HDD Sony Vaio

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hofnettech1

hofnettech1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hello!

I have ran into this problem several times before. I am trying to retrieve data from a laptop HDD(laptop turns on but nothing on the screen cant hear fans running or anything just an led on power switch I reset RAM and still nothing so Im thinking failed mobo?)some files and pictures I can get to but most files say its not shared with anyone but the "system". Iv tried changing the sharing settings and nothing just get an access denied. Usually when this happens i assume the drive has to be sent off to a recovery center. But i was wondering is there a free tool or a way i can get around these locks and get into certain folders? And why can I access certain user files and documents but not others?? 

Thanks to all that reply!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

Are you trying to access the drive through an external enclosure as you stated the computer does nothing and you cannot see the screen.

There may be a permissions issue. You should take ownership of the external drive as shown here.

Another option would be to boot to a linux distro like Puppy linux and access the files that way.

#3 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yes john that is what i am try! ok i will give those a try monday thanks for the reply much appreciated! :thumbup2:

#4 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

John,

I was able to take owner ship by your help thank you but just for pointers i tried booting to puppy linux and when it booted past linux startup it loaded then said puppy files not found and would not boot just gave me the command line. So is there a command i have to type to boot to linux? Im not to familiar with linux thanks for your help again!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

You should not need a command line to get to linux. Puppy should boot directly to the desktop. It's possible either the iso or burn was bad. Download Puppy again. Try v5.2.8. Download Rufus. When it starts opt out of any update check. Select iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the Puppy iso file. Click Start. Any data on the Flash drive will be deleted. Attach the Flash Drive and boot the computer. You may have to set USB to first boot device in BIOS.

#6 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

Ok thanks!! Will do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users