Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Fully Defragment Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

When i run the disk defragmentor, it stops defragmenting when it encounters one file it cannot defragment. When my borhter tries to go on soem sites, it does not work unless he clicks the link from google. anything i open like internet explorer browser is the wrong size and i gota maximize or resize them. Also when i click Tools - internet options - security , in every zone there are some settigns missing like run things signed with authenticode and stuff

Edited by IHateAbnormalities, 10 June 2006 - 12:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

If you think you may be infected, please submit a hijackthis log to the forum below.

HJT forum

Follow these instructions on how to submit a log.

Submitting a hijackthis log

You can also install one or all of these programs, update them, but run them separately

Counterspy, Trendmicro Anti Spyware free trial , Ad-aware ,
Spybot- S&D ---> (Spybot tutorial) ,
Torjan Hunter

If your using Win2K/XP and are good with the command prompt run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt"

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

Once these are done, reboot in normal mode.

If you want to run a last resort virus scan, Try TrendMicro House call. Dont use this as a primary Anti virus program, and this should only be used as a last resort.

If you're looking for a First rate AVP, i wouldnt recommend Norton Anti Virus. As most Virii writers these days tend to target Norton, thus depleting the purpose. I would use AVG Anti Virus. Its a free virus scanner, and very accurate.

#3 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

I'm not sure what the number is, but how full is your hard drive? I understand that the defragger needs at least half as many free bytes as the number of bytes it is defragging. If this is your problem, the defragger would probably stop on the same file every time it had reached the limit. It's something to consider, anyway.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

In addition to what Kermit said, it would be helpful if you open a report and see what the file was that wouldn't defrag. There could be a reason it isn't defragging.

#5 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

Although i have not been able to defragment for like 2 months, I tried today again and it fianlly defragmented all the way through. So i do not need help anymore

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:42 AM

Happy to hear it finally worked for you- - -any idea why? Let us know if it happens again.
Cheers!
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users