Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycle Bin Woes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TJBender

TJBender

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

My desktop, a Hewlett-Packard HPe-170f running Windows 7, is currently having an issue with the Recycle Bin, and won't display the items within it. I know they're there, as the "full" icon appears when I delete a file, but when I double-click the Recycle Bin to view the files inside it, there's nothing there. I've already ruled out malware with SuperAntiSpyware, and ruled out viruses with AVG and ComboFix. I've also tried typing "rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin" in an elevated command prompt. After going through all those steps, I finally right-clicked on the bin and checked its properties, and I saw something very curious:

cZH1Jsk.png

I'm convinced that the Recycle Bin defaulting to the recovery partition is my issue, but every time I set it to point back to the C: drive and click Apply/OK, it defaults right back to the recovery partition as soon as the window closes, and the problem persists.

Weird enough for you yet? Here, let me make it weirder: there is a $RECYCLE.BIN folder on the recovery drive, and it too shows up as empty, even after files have been added. There's also a $RECYCLE.BIN folder on the C: drive that shows up empty at all times as well.

I'm reaching my wit's end and could use some expert help. Every theory I've had has been debunked except for the recovery partition idea, but I just can't get it to point away from that and back to the C: drive. Would Safe Mode work? Should I try the elevated command prompt option on the recovery drive, as terrifying a concept as that is? Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated at this point, as I am well and truly stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users