Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matt06

matt06

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

So last night i shut off the computer when i come how from work. The next morning i keep getting this message when i reboot.

Quote:
We appologize for the inconvience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent haedware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shutdown to protect your files and folders choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent setting that worked.

If previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed or if you arent sure what caused the problem, choose start windows normally.

*Safe mode
*Safe Mode with networking
*Safe mode with command prompt

*Last known good configuration

*Start windows normally

I try all the options and it just keeps rebooting to this screen. I can't get on the computer at all. No prompts show up when i try to get to safe mode. Does anyone know what I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

Did you install any new hardware or software before shutting it down? Updated drivers,games,programs,etc. Or new RAM, new CPU, anything of that nature?

#3 matt06

matt06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:30 PM

Nothing really. The only thing I can think of was that I was running a torrent that I forgot to close before it shutdown. Nothing new.

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:19 AM

You may have bad memory. This can be a factor to a bad boot.. And it seems to be the case since you cant load anything. try using http://www.memtest86.com/. Its a stand alone scanner for bad memory.

Edited by Uraiser, 12 June 2006 - 01:40 AM.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

If one of the options in your boot up option screen is something like:

Disable automatic restart after error

Then choose that one. Then as your computer encounters an error it will not reboot, but rather stop at a blue screen. Write down everything on the blue screen and post it here in the forum.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users