Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I backup and then restore my computer, will MS Word still work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bolharr2250

bolharr2250

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hello! I've decided I want to do a full system restore on my 2010 White Macbook. Its slowing down and I'm fine with clearing away all of that junk to start fresh. But the thing is, I really want to preserve my applications, specifically Microsoft Office Suite. I know those programs are finicky, so I was wondering if there is a way for me to restore my Macbook, but preserve the MS Office Suite in a useable state.

I have a backup drive, but I want to make sure that I can use that to restore my MS Office Suite with the codes and authorization currently on it. I do not currently have the codes I used to purchase it, and I want to make sure I will be able to use the suite after I do a restore.

And my second question, would it be best to stay at Snow Leopard for me, or should I upgrade my OS?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

The short answer is yes, you can do a backup and then restore and have Word working (most likely*).

The longer answer is a matter of how you do it. When I want to do a wipe and clean install of a Mac, I usually clone it first to a second drive (which is usually a bootable drive). I use SuperDuper to do this (I also update my clone just before I do any updates rom Apple but any other major programs too), but there are other programs such a Carbon Copy Cloner. Once the clone is made, you can then wipe the computer and re-install the OS. As part of the OS install process, you can then use Migration Assistant to "migrate" your data and applications back on to the newly formatted and OS-reinstalled Mac. Or if you don't do directly as part of the re-install process, you can just later with Migration Assistant.

* I say most likely because I forget if Microsoft's activation process will be triggered by the cloning and migration. It has been a while since I have done it. It will also depend on which version of Office. Older versions of Office have much less activation processes. If this "most likely" causes you concern, then if you can wait for a little while, I will likely be going through this process to upgrade my Mac from 10.8 to 10.9 soon (hopefully within the next month). I like to do "clean" installs when I upgrade.

#3 bolharr2250

bolharr2250
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to do a Time Machine Backup and then do a clean install with Snow Leopard. Hopefully it works fine, but if it doesnt, I should have a backup.

Is there anything I should do before I do the clean install?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to do a Time Machine Backup and then do a clean install with Snow Leopard. Hopefully it works fine, but if it doesnt, I should have a backup.

Is there anything I should do before I do the clean install?

It should work fine.

After you back up and then boot from the Snow Leopard disc, you might need to actually wipe/re-format the drive with disk utility to force a "clean install". It has been while since I have done it, so I don't recall the exact steps.

#5 staygold512

staygold512

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910   will require the 10.6 disk. Lion and later versions of OS X have a built utilities or access to internet recovery tools. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users