Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 650 notebook BSOD error code : 0xc0000034

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arsenal987654567

arsenal987654567

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

I have a HP650 notebook (Windows 8.1) and have for about 20 months. I ran a battery check and it said to calibrate it so i did so by going into the HP diagnostic test or something by pressing F2/escape on start-up. I ran it fine and it went for about 2 hours and upn completion it said it worked. It then restarted the laptop and i got a BSOD. It read "Your PC needs to be repaired. The boot configuration data file is missing some required information. File /BCD . Error code:0xc0000034. You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media." After looking online for a couple of hours someone told me to run an elevated command prompt and type in the following in order: "Bootrec /fixmbr, Bootrec /fixboot, Bootrec /scanos. Bootrec /rebuildbcd". After doing so it worked and i backed up everything on my laptop. My question is why did this happen. It must of had to been something to do with the battery configuration. Anyway,  how can i stop this from happening in the future? Will it happen again or is it fixed as i typed those specific commands above and it worked or are the commands just a temporary fix or something? Also can i run the battery check again just to double check it worked or do you think i will get the BSOD error message again?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

You rebuilt the BCD (Boot Configuration Data), so that should be fine now.

As for what happened, all I can suggest is that some how a file became corrupted.  This happens with Windows, this is why they have System File Checker (sfc /scannow).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

While that error can be caused by a few things, the best thing I can say is wait and see if it happens again. There's no point worrying as the problem could have been fixed.

If it happens again then post back and upload the dump files by doing the following:

Go to

C:\Windows\minidump

Upload all those files by copying them to the desktop and compressing them in a single .zip folder.

Or even better, upload a Kernel memory dump.

Go the Start
Right click My Computer
Select Properties
Click Advanced system settings
Click on the Advanced tab
Select Settings under Startup and Recovery
Then under Write debugging information select Kernel memory dump.

Once a dump is created go to:

C:\Windows\memory.dmp

Copy the file to the desktop, zip it up and upload it to a file sharing site like Onedrive. After the upload is done post the download link in your next reply.

Edited by Jared44, 02 October 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#4 arsenal987654567

arsenal987654567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

You rebuilt the BCD (Boot Configuration Data), so that should be fine now.

As for what happened, all I can suggest is that some how a file became corrupted.  This happens with Windows, this is why they have System File Checker (sfc /scannow).

thank you. i redone the calibration and it all went well but the battery still says calibrate once i ran the battery check lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users