Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard not recognizing video card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheSkeward

TheSkeward

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

I just built my first computer. I have my Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X plugged into my ASRock Z97 Pro3 via the PCIe2 slot. It's got power via two six-pin connectors to my Seasonic S12II 620w power supply. My motherboard reports that my PCIe2 slot is completely empty via the ASRock hardware monitor software and the BIOS, but the Radeon is connected and powered and the fans are spinning. It's Windows 8.1, and when I run the Catalyst Install Manager to install drivers, it also does not detect my graphics card. What gives? Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Try re-seating the card (pull it out and put it back in) verify that it is seated correctly, all the way in the slot and the locking mechanism locked.

You could also try removing the card and putting it in a different pcie slot if you have one available.

Edited by zingo156, 02 October 2014 - 07:20 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 TheSkeward

TheSkeward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

I reseated it, still experiencing the same problem. I only have one pcie slot.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Do you have the monitor connected to the computer through a motherboard output/connection or the video card output/connection? How are you able to see that the computer is not recognizing the card?

Try resetting the cmos of the mainboard if you have not already done so.

A few things could be the cause here: motherboard problem with the pci-e lane, video card problem, or power supply problem. Even though the fans are spinning that doesn't mean everything is working correctly. If you have any spare parts to test with (a different video card or psu etc) I would give that a try.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 TheSkeward

TheSkeward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for your help. It ended up being a problem with the PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I got a replacement motherboard and it appears to work just fine.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Glad to hear you have it working, happy computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users