Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see shared printer with new Windows 8.1 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jonser5

jonser5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

I'm having trouble connecting my new laptop to my printer. 

My printer is hard wired to my desktop which runs windows 7. 

My new Laptop which runs Windows 8.1 doesn't see the printer, but does see other devices on the net work. 

The printer is a Brother DCP-7065DN and seems to be set up correctly on the desktop side.

Sharing is enables in the printer properties as well as the network and sharing center.

This is probably something simple I'm missing but I can't seem to figure it out.  I've searched forums but haven't found anything helpful.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.  If there's any more info I can provide just let me know.

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hello, and Welcome,

Did you install the Win8.1 driver for the Brother to your new laptop? See Manually connecting to a Homegroup Printer.  This is for Windows 7 but it should be similar with 8. I am assuming you have connected the laptop to the homegroup and both computers are set to Home network. If the brother has it's own IP address then do not do the following.

• On the computer the printer is physically connected to, click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then click Control Panel. In the search box, type homegroup, and then click HomeGroup.
    • Make sure the Printers check box is selected. (If not, select it, and then click Save changes.)

• Go to the computer you want to print from.

• Open HomeGroup by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, typing homegroup in the search box, and then clicking HomeGroup.

• Click Install printer.

• If you don't already have a driver installed for the printer, click Install driver in the dialog box that appears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users