Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts whenever a disk is connected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 iburnthings

iburnthings

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

Motherboard ECS MCP68M-M2 V1.0A

I moved this motherboard to a new case with a new power supply and a new HDD and ODD.

I thought it had a failing HDD so I replaced it and when I was trying to install windows it would shut off as soon as the optical disk started up.

The problem quickly escalated though, now the computer will immediately restart after BIOS screen if ANY disk is attached Hard disks included.

I've reset the BIOS to defaults, tested with two different hard drives, two different CD-RW.

I've tested with 1 RAM stick in both slots, then the other RAM stick in both slots. So I finally put both RAM sticks back in.

I disconnected every other component that uses power, namely the video card and I am now using on board video. Thinking of putting the vid card back in though to try some more configurations.

I even tried with a different IDE cable, unfortunately this Mobo only has 1 IDE bus (the other is FDD and less pins on the out)

Going SATA isn't an option since I would need to buy new drives and I've already invested too much into this project for a friend who isn't paying me.

I realize it may be the Mobo or the IDE interface but does anyone have a way to know for sure without booting into windows? 

EDIT==

I tried booting to a USB and the computer still shut off after about 2 minutes. Either the PSU isn't enough or the cpu is heating up too quickly?

additional specs

400w avg 500w max PSU

ECS 7050M-M v1.0a

AM2+ socket AMD Athlon 64 x2

2x 2GB DDR2 SDRAM

nvidia GeForce GTS 450

EDIT==

I cleaned cpu and heatsink and put some high grade thermal paste on. Issue still persists.

Thinking it's the PSU but it's brand new so unless it's defective I can't imagine the system is drawing 400w without a DVD/HDD or Vid card attached.

Edited by iburnthings, 02 October 2014 - 04:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iburnthings

iburnthings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Can this get moved to Internal Hardware. Sorry about that.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

OP reposted in Internal Hardware...this topic is closed to avoid confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users