Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download apps?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

I have a recently purchased Samsung Galaxy S5 and am just "learning the ropes" of smartphones.  The problem at the moment is that I cannot display GPS coordinates in Google Maps,and cannot download the app ("latitude and longitude coordinates") that is supposed to provide that service - and for that matter I can also not download the Google Maps upgrade.  Yes I do have a Google account and a gmail address.  When I try to download an app from the Play Store (nomen est omen???) I get the circling worm ... and two hours later the worm is still circling and I still don't have the app.

Google Maps immediately shows me my present location, marked on a map or more usually a Google Earth street view, but I cannot display the GPS coordinates, which I need to locate work sites sent me by USA ("call before you dig" - I am GM of a local water authority and need to be sure that proposed excavations are not going to hit any of our water lines).  I can locate the sites very approximately using my ancient Magellan GPS unit, but either the Magellan or USA is pretty inaccurate.  It gets me into the vicinity,so I can then scour around and find the USA marks, but that is time consuming.  The GPS in the Galaxy S5 is very fast and seems to be accurate - but I cannot get it to display coordinates.

FWIW the phone is on T-Mobile, I have long had a T-Mobile account which was upgraded for this phone, and I have WiFi at home and in the office, and the phone is connected to either of those when I am within range.  Current account settiings are unlimited voice, text and data.

I have to suppose I am doing something wrong, but what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

Well, this issue was solved this evening by a two hour phone call to T-Mobile support.  I had to give them the number of the SIM card (a nuisance because I have the phone in an Otterbox Defender case :)) - I don't know what they did, I asked but got no answer, and after restarting the phone I could then access the Play Store and download apps.  There are many that give latitude and longitude.  Some at least of them also carry adware, about which I am less than delighted.  When I want games I will search for them, thanks, I don't need ads permanently on screen for games I will never use.

So this resolves into a different question: is there a "latitude and longitude coordinates" app that does not plaster the screen with unwanted adware?

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

Ack, I now learn there are something like 200 "apps" offering various versions of latitude/longitude display.  Obviously futile IMHO to waste the time of serious people at BC to try to sort this out.  What I need in this jungle is an "app" (sorry, that term rubs me the wrong way) that updates GPS and positiion as I move around.  The "Posit" app I now have must be re-started each time to find out where you are.  Not optimal if you are driving around a forsaken landscape, miles from any normal reference point, trying to find a specific set of GPS coordinates.  Unfortunately that is part of my job.  As a long time desert nomad I can find you a particular rock formation in the middle of the Sahara, or a particular small sand dune in northern Saudi Arabia, without benefit of GPS ... but now I am confronted with the opposite situation, other utilities giving me GPS coordinates in the middle of nowhere that I have to find to make sure when they dig there they won't bust one of our water mains.

So what I need is something that tells me where I am (in GPS terms) as I drive along a track (if you want to call it that) in the middle of literally nowhere.. . .that is, I need a continuously movable GPS pointer on a Google Earth type map display.  Forget about "map" type displays because many of these sites are nowhere near any road or street to be found on a map - even the Google Maps "map" display.  Only the "satellite" display gives me the info I need.

AFAIK BC has more important things to do.  So will someone kindly point me to where I can find this information without further burdening this site?

Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users