Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton AV Support says "Internet Connectivity Failed"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dimetrodon

Dimetrodon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

I've tried getting an answer to this question--2 questions actually--on Norton's forum, but nobody's responded yet, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit and my internet connection seems fine. I can do all the usual online things--with one peculiar exception: I cannot browse Newegg's website. Regardless of which browser I use--Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Google Chrome--I get a "server not found" error every time on Newegg. I also have a Windows 7 laptop and several other Windows computers in my home and they can all browse Newegg's website just fine; only my desktop cannot,

I thought maybe my Norton AV might be blocking Newegg, but turning off its AV and firewall do not suddenly grant me access to the Newegg website.

So I ran "Norton Support," part of the Norton 360 AV package which is supposed to fix problems, and it reported "Internet Connectivity Failed." Norton then directed me to download and install a Smart update file, which I did, and then run a full system scan, which I did. Nevertheless, still when I run Norton Support it tells me the same thing (with no further instructions):

Norton Security Suite
Windows 7 Home Premium
7601.18409.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144
Norton Autofix Results: 1 item(s)
Internet Connectivity :: Failed

So, two questions really: Why can't my desktop PC browse Newegg's website? And what am I supposed to do when Norton AV reports "Internet Connectivity Failed"?

Thanks.

Edited by Dimetrodon, 01 October 2014 - 09:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

I see the folks at Norton have replied and are helping you in this topic. To avoid confusion, I suggest you continue with them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Dimetrodon

Dimetrodon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

I see the folks at Norton have replied and are helping you in this topic. To avoid confusion, I suggest you continue with them.

The Norton forum has been very helpful, but no resolution yet.

#4 Dimetrodon

Dimetrodon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

I finally turned my PC over to a very capable remote Norton tech and he determined that the problem was that my PC was accessing the network through a proxy. Resetting that apparently did the trick. All problems resolved. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

I don't use Norton and not many members at BC use their products either...so you may or may not receive any suggestions.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

I finally turned my PC over to a very capable remote Norton tech and he determined that the problem was that my PC was accessing the network through a proxy. Resetting that apparently did the trick. All problems resolved. 

That certainly is good news and we appreciate you sharing that information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users