Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking thru cmos setup utility and there is no system serial number entered

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smurfdog

smurfdog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Will this cause problems & how do you get in to enter the number?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Are you trying to flash a motherboard?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 smurfdog

smurfdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

Having other problems. Trying to get an answer to that specific question first. I'm trying to debug my sister's computer. Mine and hers are twins and I have both set up side by side. Comparing things I came across the 'no serial number issue'.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

The thing is that we are techs, not mind readers and on top of that, you use different terms.

So my best guess is that you have gone into the bios and noticed that a serial number (which serial number for which component?) is missing on one of the machines and you'd like to know if that will have a negative effect on the unkown problem that you are trying to resolve.

All I can tell you is that there is insufficient info to offer any reply.

Vague questions will get vague answers but this question is more than just vague, as we don't even know what you are trying to do, thus couldn't possibly establish the relatively of the missing serial number to an unknown component and the unknown job you want to perform on said computer.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 smurfdog

smurfdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

Specific as I can be. Is there a way to enter the "SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER". CMOS setup utility - first screen 'Product Information' The System Serial Number is missing. Same narrow question that I started with. Is the a way to enter the 'Systenm Serial Number' so that it will show up when I go to the Product Information page? I only mentioned that I have two identical machines and am comparing things trying to see what may be causing problems with one. The problems with the machine are numerous. Will the absence of the System Serial Number cause ANY KIND of problems. My machine has been fine for 4 years. The machine in question has had problems for most of the 4 years. I've done a clean install. I've gone the system image route. Does anyone know how/where to enter the System Serial Number. I'm not interested in going into other things. Only looking for ONE non-vague answer to a specific question. If I thought I could get an answer to the universe of problems I wouldn't try to get it here. Just one simple question. I hope maybe somebody can answer. I'm not holding my breath. I'll be talking to other real people about this.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

It might help if you tell us the manufacturer/model of the computer.

#7 smurfdog

smurfdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:12 AM

desktop - Acer Aspire M3300, AMD Phenom II X4, 6 GB ram, Windows7 64bit

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

It may be as easy as clearing the CMOS or updating the bios.

If not, try this.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users