Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hand-me-down awesome comp, need help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dwbowes

dwbowes

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

OK soooooooo my friend recently got a brand new computer and gave me his old one, but without the hard drives.  I have hard drives from my old comp (believe me, this hand-me-down is a definite upgrade from my old one), but i have no idea how to get them running.  I plugged in my old hard drives into the respective slots (the cord says SATA on it, idk if that is in conjunction with the slot or just the manufacture mark, and there were a lot more slots on the new one than my old comp but im fairly certain i got them in right), and after that I said a quick prayer, and hit the power switch.  The power source LED turned on and the fan whizzed for about a nanosecond, then shut off... nothing on my monitor, no sounds from the VG card or the motherboard... I know I can't simply plug in a used hard drive with an OS and expect it to work, but i was at least hoping i would get the "blue screen of death" or some visual indication that things aren't computing.

I'm wondering if this awesome piece of electronics is even functioning?  If anyone can help me find the source of why it's not working, it would be very appreciated.  I just graduated college and this computer is obviously defiantly resisting to help me along my way to success, idk how to fix it lol...

Thanks to all who reply

~Dan Bowes

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2014 - 02:21 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

Unplug the SATA drives and see if it even boots to the BIOS at least.  It is possible the drive is plugged in wrong and is faulting the power supply.

#3 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

Unplug the SATA drives and see if it even boots to the BIOS at least.  It is possible the drive is plugged in wrong and is faulting the power supply.

thank you for the reply! so i unplugged everything i had plugged in (just the hard drives) and am still getting the same problem, i see the LED lights come on for the power supply and the fan starts, but they immediately shut off.  I also am getting nothing on the moniter, it doesnt budge... 9as far as pixels go i guess).  One of my friends said i might need a new battery for the motherboard or maybe a new fuse in the power supply???? are there even fuses in those things???? so confused right now lol

Edited by dwbowes, 01 October 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

If it was a fuse in the power supply the fans wouldn't spin. Try replacing the CMOS battery as your friend suggested. After replacing the battery, go to CMOS settings and set it back to default. Swap out your RAM modules. Only use one module at a time and also change slots for each module. Make sure the CPU power plug is attached if it has one. It would be near the CPU. Also try the following Unplug the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cable and boot. You can also manually test the PSU with a multimeter if you have one.

Here is a good step by step for checking a no post computer.

Another with some good tips.

#5 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

If it was a fuse in the power supply the fans wouldn't spin. Try replacing the CMOS battery as your friend suggested. After replacing the battery, go to CMOS settings and set it back to default. Swap out your RAM modules. Only use one module at a time and also change slots for each module. Make sure the CPU power plug is attached if it has one. It would be near the CPU. Also try the following Unplug the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cable and boot. You can also manually test the PSU with a multimeter if you have one.

Here is a good step by step for checking a no post computer.

Another with some good tips.

Thank you very much man! hopefully i can find a solution :) i've boon looking for something like these sites you posted lol, i'll let you know what i find!

EDIT**  as far as the multimeter test you posted, i don't know if i can get the hardware for it and also i don't want to accidentally fry my power supply lol, but thanks for the info :)

Edited by dwbowes, 02 October 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#6 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:45 AM

well, found one problem... the motherboard on this thing is only held in place by 2 standoff screws... one of which doesn't even have the "screw" part to it, just the backer... but otherwise all the hardware looks like it's installed correctly.  Like i said before, this is a "hand-me-down", but it was very well kept and apparently it worked before i took hands on it lol.  i will change the battery tomorrow and "crossing fingers" hopefully it works! all i want is a nice beep or some sort of signal lol

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

Well...what's wrong with using your friend...as a reference on what may or may not be wrong with this system?

A change of hard drives is minor...you have experience with the system and knowledge consolidated in a ready source of information, should you choose to use it.

Louis

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hi,

Let's go back to basics.

Disconnect the system from the power source, and ground yourself.

You need a Power Supply connected to the Motherboard with the 24/20 pin ATX connector, the 4 pin ATX connector and a PCI-E 6 pin connector to the Graphics / Video Card (If the system has one).

If the system uses a Graphics / Video Card, carefully Remove and Reseat the Graphics / Video Card.

Remove all other PCI-e / PCI cards from the system (Network, Serial, Modem, USB, ETC.).
(Once you get a successful P.O.S.T. you can add the other cards in one at a time.)

You can safely disconnect all Power and Data (IDE / SATA / SCSI) Cables to Hard Drives, Optical Drives (CD / DVD Drives) Etc.

Carefully remove the System RAM. (If your system has more than 1 RAM Module, pick 1 and Seat the Module in the 1st slot).
(Once you get a successful P.O.S.T. you can add the other modules in one at a time.)

If you choose  you can carefully remove the Fan / Heat sink / Processor and Reseat. If the Fan / Heat sink separate from the processor, be sure to clean and apply fresh thermal paste / compound to the heat sink / processor.

Remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and replace. This should clear the CMOS.(if you have a multi-meter test the CMOS battery while you have it removed from the board (Most are 3VDC. and should be marked).

Replace the CMOS Battery, observing polarity.

Double check all of your work and connect a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor to the back of the system.

Plug  the system into the power source and Crank it Up!

If you get a System P.O.S.T., you can start adding the other components one by one testing for POST after each one.

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm very suspicious of the missing screw on the MOBO.  The P/S starting and stoping is normal for one that is protecting itself from a short, which maybe on the P/S itself or on the MOBO or any of the drives or cards(video) plugged into it.  Tough to tell without a meter.

#10 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

A quick trip to a local computer shop should take care of a screw issue if you are insecure. Heck they'd probably give 'em to ya along with the mounts and spacers. I had dozens of them laying around.

If you follow the above, you should find your problem by a process of eliminaion.

Back in prehistoric times when I was with Dell they tried to release a screwless motherboard system, which was shot down. The system  had to have 1 screw to properly secure and ground the system.

So it was 1 screw and a clip to satisfy UL or whoever it was that shot the screwless system down.

You can bench a motherboard (completely out of a case) and P.O.S.T the system with Power Supply, Fan / Heatsink / Processor, Memory, Graphics (Onboard or Card) Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#11 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

Hi guys! Thank you all for replying! so i ended up changing the 3V battery on the motherboard and the thing sprung to life!!! My OS is working for the most part and i was able to connect to the internet and download all the drivers i needed for my VG card and all the other devices.  I am going to keep this thread because you all gave me a lot of usefull info!!! I'm only aving some trouble now with gettring everything to run smoothly, for instance, some of the drivers i need werent found through the windows driver search so i need to find them, also my internet isn't reading any site as "safe", but i think thats beause of my old wireless adapter... might have to get a new one.  But yeah I'm excited to keep working on this thing and i will let youy guys know if i run into any more issues!

Thanks A TON!!!!

~Dan

#12 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi guys! Thank you all for replying! so i ended up changing the 3V battery on the motherboard and the thing sprung to life!!! My OS is working for the most part and i was able to connect to the internet and download all the drivers i needed for my VG card and all the other devices.  I am going to keep this thread because you all gave me a lot of usefull info!!! I'm only aving some trouble now with gettring everything to run smoothly, for instance, some of the drivers i need werent found through the windows driver search so i need to find them, also my internet isn't reading any site as "safe", but i think thats beause of my old wireless adapter... might have to get a new one.  But yeah I'm excited to keep working on this thing and i will let youy guys know if i run into any more issues!

Thanks A TON!!!!

~Dan

I was going to post that I had a similar situation with an old computer, and found it was one of the memory slots.  If you didn't get the memory stick shoved in there just right (meaning more effort than the other 3 slots), the computer would freeze before fully booted (not identical but a possibl consideration). 

I was going to say the plan of removing everything and adding part by part, that others offered, seemed like a good idea.

Seems I don't need to mention that now, though.

Glad to hear you have your computer running.  This place has been a ton of help for me too.

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Perplexing faults almost remain in the memory forever.  That's one to stick in the bank.   I've been called an easter-egger.  That is, I look for the obvious, visually, before touching anything.  Just a force of habit from working in a standards lab where every instrument has to have an  "AS FOUND" test.  This starts with a very detailed and complete visual inspection, sometimes with a magnifier and measures all the parameters before any repair or recalibration to specs.  The CMOS battery should not have kept the unit from booting but they will create some strange faults when they go bad.  I can remember Dell's 80286 machine, one huge MOBO for sure but it had four screws.  More than a few mfgrs have close tolerances on mounting holes and grounding at some will short things out.  Even the small "growing" that happens as the MOBO warms up can bridge an otherwise open connection.  I try to use nylon standoffs and screws to hold things down on all my builds, just to eliminate that possible fault.  When removing a MOBO from a unit, pay close attention as some have fiber washers  between the board and standoff.  If not glued on the post or board, it will disappear and cause much headaches when things short out.

#14 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

Hi everyone! so i got all my hardware installed all good but now i'm getting some issues using the internet.  I made a new post, i'll tag it at the end.  Basically i am getting an error where my computer cant find the correct certificates for google and other websites.  Also I need to find a driver for a "Universal Serial Bus"... windows can't find one online.  any ideas or whatever may help find the solution!

Thanks!

~Dan

here's the link to my other forum post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550644/ssl-error-cannot-connect-to-real-site-after-upgrade-all-browsers/

Edited by dwbowes, 03 October 2014 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users