Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replacement cd/dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CK.rbg

CK.rbg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

I've had my asus k52f for a few years now w/ very few complaints. however, it has never successfully read a cd. dvds? sure, no problem. But it will not read, play, rip or burn a cd. It's a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTD10RS (that's the only real identifier I can find.)

I've tried uninstalling the device in the device mgr & re-booting, I've searched & searched the net for possible solutions to no avail. I'm willing to replace the drive at this point but I'm worried about buying a new one that won't fit properly in my machine. Ergonomically speaking, I guess you could say. I'd prefer not to buy the exact same drive, for obvious reasons, but I'm at a loss as to where to begin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, not only in finding a new drive... but also if anyone has any idea why this s.o.b. will read dvds but not cds & has a potential solution, I'm all ears. Of course, a solution to the current drive would be ideal.

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Usually you can remove the optical drive on a laptop by removing one screw and pulling it out. The bar drive is available on ebay. You will have to transfer the faceplate. The drive would have two lasers, one for dvd's and the other for cd's. It's possible one works and the other has failed. I am not sure if you could swap out to a different manufacturer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#3 CK.rbg

CK.rbg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

Thanks a lot.. not only for the link to a replacement (already ordered & on the way) but also the breakdown as to how the drive could do one but not the other. I'll try my hand at installing this bad boy when it arrives.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,627 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

This teardown guide should help.

Edit:

Video on how to change a faceplate.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 October 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#5 CK.rbg

CK.rbg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Many thanks. Both of those will be super handy.. especially after I find out the hard way that I should've looked that up in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users