Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old hard drive not working in new machine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dwbowes

dwbowes

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Sup guys, so a friend of mine recently got a brand new computer and gave me his old shell with everything but the hard drives.  Can i just plug in my old hard drive and expect it to work? also, i'm fairly certain i have everything plugged into its correct spot power-wise, but does it matter which SATA plugs i use for the hard drives i have? (mine has two hard drive modules or whatever, from an old DELL Vostro quad core AND is running Windows Vista).  I plugged them into this new comp (where they look like they would go according to plug type) but i still am getting not even a screen signal from the new comp. I understand that i cant simply plug these things in and expect the OS to recognize anything, but i was hoping i could at least get some sort of sign this computer is actually functional.

When i turn on the computer, i see the fan start to spin then it stops abruptly, same with any LED lights in the comp.  Nothing shows up on my monitor and i don't hear anything else going on inside so im assuming the motherboard fan is not going as well, or the VG card

Any thoughts? suggestions? do you guys want pics?   

Any help would be super appreciated because this new comp is going to be a huge upgrade for me and my career!!! :D

Thanks

~Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

You will need to format the drive and install the OS, hard drives in a manner of speaking machine specific.  Meaning they are imprinted with the system and its hardware specs to avoid pirating!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

wouldn't the motherboard at least try to boot though? i'm not seeing any kind of activity whatsoever

#4 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

i think im going to re-post this problem as a new post, i get the hard drive thing but now im more worried i might have to delve deeper

#5 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

the new thread is located here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550503/hand-me-down-awesome-comp-need-help/

if you think you have a solution or any ideas, please post there.  thanks!

~Dan

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

First of all, unplug any hard drives and see if the thing will even POST.  It is possible you've plugged the drives in wrong.  The protection circuits in the P/S are sensing a fault and stops as soon as it starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users