Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Users naming messed up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

I bought this Dell from a guy who had cleaned it of everything except OS and Office suite. I added a computer name "TOMSDELL" and thought it would produce a user named Tomsdell, but it didn't. So, I've made a user named Tom as admin user. But then I discovered that Tom doesn't appear in the listing of Users on the C drive. But "on" does and has all my files there. Is it possible to change "on" to my name somehow. My usual efforts have failed. SEE ATTACHED JPG TO SHOW THE PROBLEM. Thanks for your availability to help dummies.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

You would create a new account called Tom and then as admin copy the "on" contents to the new Tom user folder.  Then you would delete user "on".

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

After you created the new user account Tom did you switch to that user account?

New user accounts will not show up under Users until you actually go to it after creation.

After you click that account name on the welcome screen Windows will prepare the account. Once that is done the desktop for Tom will show for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 October 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Adding visuals:

I created a new user account called Test. Immediately after it was created while still on my desktop, this is what is under Users. Note the absence of Test.

new-account1.png

I switched users, went to the Welcome Screen, click the account for Test.

After the account was finalized, I log out of the account, went back to my other account desktop and Test is now showing up

new-account2.png

Is it possible to change "on" to my name somehow. My usual efforts have failed.

It is possible but we need to know what you tried that failed.

When you do change an account name, it only changes it on the Welcome screen.
It will NOT change the name you see in Users.

Before name change
new-account3.png

I changed the name of my Test account to Mom. The name Mom will be on the Welcome screen instead of Test.

new-account4-name-change.png

However, when looking at Users files and folders are still listed under Test as shown in the second screenshot.
If you do change the name "on" will still be the name in Users.

Changing the name of the computer has nothing to do with user accounts.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 October 2014 - 03:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users