Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Technical Preview is now available via the Windows Insider Program

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

Today Microsoft launched their Windows Insider Program that allows you to sign up and download the Windows 10 Technical Preview. The program also allows you to take discuss Windows 10 with Microsoft staff and your peers in the Technical Preview forum. Once you join the program you will be able to download an executable that can upgrade your existing Windows installation. If you wish to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview in a virtual machine or in a clean setup, you can download the Windows 10 TP ISO instead. The technical preview is based off of Windows 10 build 9841 and will expire on April 15, 2015.

As this is a very early release of Windows, it is not suggested that you upgrade your normal computer to the Windows 10 TP. Instead you should use a spare computer or even better a virtual machine like VirtualBox. If you decide to go the VirtualBox route, download the ISO and create a Windows 8.1 guest in VirtualBox. Then go into the settings of the guest and mount the ISO as a DVD. When you are ready to install, double-click on the guest to start the installation from the mounted ISO. It will install perfectly, but unfortunately at this time the Guest Additions will not work. I expect a VirtualBox update will be released soon that will allow the guest additions to work.

139-windows-10-vb.jpg
Windows 10 Technical Preview installing under VirtualBox

Included in the technical preview is a feedback application that you can use to give Microsoft feedback on the various aspects of Windows 10. Microsoft has stated that they want to hear from Windows users as the development continues, so if you wish to provide suggestions or bug reports to Microsoft this is the way to do it.

windows-feedback.jpg
Windows Feedback Application

If you have any questions on installing or using the Windows 10 Technical Preview, please feel free to ask in our Windows 10 Forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

I downloaded the ISO and burned my DVD, I am now going to install it on a spare laptop I have.

Keep you all updated in the Windows 10 forum section.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Bluediamond

Bluediamond

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Yea me too just got it during my MCSE class cant wait to try this thing out im going to build two VM's and upgrade from 7-10 if possible and a 8.1-10 and see the majot changes in upgrade paths on both machines i expect not much on a Windows 8.1 a.k.a Windows 9 lol.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:53 AM

The installation process is almost identical to that of Windows 8, I like used disk space (10,6 GB) although that sure will increase. :)

I adore the Start button right click menu, but it s a bit confusing, because to access the start menu properties you need to right click on the Task bar and not on the button itself.

VMWare allows you to install tools, so it looks pretty good as well. I'm very happy with it so far, when can I preorder? :wink:

Replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell is another spiffy addition. The "select text and click in command prompt to paste" doesn't work in Powershell though (lets face it, we can't have it all).

What I don't like about the start menu is that you don't have submenu's for any folder except File Explorer. I like to use this for Downloads and This PC. Anyone knows if there's a way to enable it? (I checked the option in the start menu properties).

windows-10-tech-preview-2014-10-02-10-51 

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

1412241603-2102557161-o.jpg

What to do now?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,619 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

It would help if you could give a bit more information, when did this error occur?

See also here under "common errors": http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2i0b0b/megathread_windows_10_technical_preview_support/

If you need specific help with this I suggest you post in the Windows 10 forum instead.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:15 AM

I attached iso file to VM, then the Windows logo appears for a while then it show me this error screen. Restart just going in the same loop.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

Hola Sirawit, lots of information going on with this Topic this morning.

Saw this & thought it might help, as some others are reporting the same issues as you and also reporting a way to resolve.

I also want to remind other's about what Grinler posted, esp. with regards to those that are using VirtualBox "It will install perfectly, but unfortunately at this time the Guest Additions will not work."

All this energy is kind of fun.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,619 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Solution: Turn on virtualization in your motherboard's settings or try the 32 bit version.

Did you try this?

regards, Elise

#10 howtoconnect

howtoconnect

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

I have installed Windows 10 technical preview and using it on my PC nothing problem i have faced till now.

Edited by howtoconnect, 06 October 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

I too had an issue with booting and installing windows 10 inside of virtual box, I cannot remember exactly how I fixed it but I remember changing the chipset option in virtual box's settings. Maybe try that?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#12 lordlala

lordlala

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

Hi guys, what resolved the issue for me was, when creating the virtual machine in Virtualbox, you must choose Windows 8.1 (64 bit) as the Version. 

Hope that helps.

-Jason

#13 harlowmaui

harlowmaui

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

ALOHA, I'M HARLOW--NEW TODAY;  I WISH TO KNOW IF WINDOWS 10 IS WORKING AND HOW DO I GET IT?  I AM YOUR BASIC COMPUTER DUMMIE, AND RETURNED A NEWER HP LAPTOP BECAUSE MALLFUNCTIONING, AND AM USING MY TRUSTY OLD DELL WITH XP PRO(SP3).  I BOUGHT BA NEW ONE IN APRIL TO REPLACE THE XP, BUT THE HP NOTEBOOK WAS A DISASTER--FROZEN!!

SO I AM BACK WITH XP---WILL WIN 10 BE AN UPGRADE--TROUBLE-FREE--I CAN GIVE  FEEDBACK HONESTLY.; BUT I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO EXPERIMENTAL JUST YET.  SO IF SOMEONE WILL ADVISE ME, I'D APPRECIATE THAT

#14 lordlala

lordlala

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

Hi Harlow. Windows 10 is currently in a technical preview stage. Basically, that's like calling it in the Alpha stage. As of right now, the preview is free and can be downloaded from Microsoft here: https://insider.windows.com/

You will have to join their insider program and from there, you will be able to download it.

As for running on your old machine; I don't necessarily see anything in the Windows 10 requirements that would rule out you using it on your old XP laptop; however, keep in mind, Windows 10 is like most newer pieces of software, it will be a lot more resource intensive than XP. With that said, you may notice your system running very poorly whether it be out right slow or crashing. Some devices may not work altogether.

Finally, I would not suggest using Windows 10 on a machine that you intend to be your daily and regularly used computer. If at all possible, you should install Windows 10 on a machine you have lying around or maybe a virtual machine. You don't want to run the risk of losing data because of bugs, etc.

And on a personal note, I would recommend you spend the few extra bucks and at least get a more modern computer. Preferably, one that comes with Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1.

Hope this helps.

#15 Techwork

Techwork

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

I downloaded Windows 10 Preview last week on a VMware ESXi server and it is looking very good I think. It seems like Microsoft have been listening to their customers complains and made it more useful for desktop users and enterprise. I like the fact that ModernUI only will be for Tablet users where it make sense and desktop users have the option for 4 virtual desktops.

Looking forward to follow the beta program the next year.

Best regards

Thomas
wb2.png

Twitter | Facebook Fan page | YouTube | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users