Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I clone a live distro from FlashDrive to FlashDrive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

I have a version of Ubuntu on a USB drive. It's an old USB 2.0 stick

I want to transfer it to a really fast USB 3.0 stick

I can't use Linux Live USB creator (LiL) because I can't find the exact version of the only distro that works with my PC.

So is there a way to perfectly clone my flash drive onto another flashdrive?

And if this is possible, can you give me the instructions within a Windows environment (like how to do this using windows).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

within a Windows environment (like how to do this using windows).

No Idea. I do not use Winedoze.

Try this.

Clonezilla Live on USB flash drive or USB

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 lophophora

lophophora

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

. . .

So is there a way to perfectly clone my flash drive onto another flashdrive?

And if this is possible, can you give me the instructions within a Windows environment (like how to do this using windows).

Yes. Use clonezilla and save the image to your hard drive. Then restore the image to a USB stick of the same size or larger than the one used to make the image.

No.

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

I played around with an old copy of clonezilla on a CD (or maybe it's a dvd).

Apparently the source USB Sandisk Cruizer is 16GB and the destination is USB Sandisk Extreme 15.7GB so I can't drive-to-drive copy.

I tried working with making an image. The language made it extremely difficult to figure what it is copying, from where, and where to is it saving the image. So I unplugged all my HDD's so I wouldn't destroy them. I managed to copy an image of what may or may not have been the proper USB drive, but I think I saved the whole thing as an image file (iso type or something) file rather than the reconstructed partition, because it wouldn't boot.
lophophora1, I'm a bit afraid to try clonezilla with any of my HDD's plugged in, I'd hate to wipe one of them out.

Spent all day trying to find a distro that works, no luck.

I give up. I'll just continue to use the old 2.0 usb drive.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Apparently the source USB Sandisk Cruizer is 16GB and the destination is USB Sandisk Extreme 15.7GB so I can't drive-to-drive copy.

The destination drive must be the same size or bigger 

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

I have a ''16GB'' Sandisk Cruzer Blade that's really only 14.9GB.

Easiest way to compare sizes is to boot up with your Linux system on the USB, mount the other USB and run:

df -h

You could also shrink the partition that the OS is installed on, assuming it has space to spare - but you are always advised to back-up partitions before shrinking them.

#7 lophophora

lophophora

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

Personally, I make a directory in in which to place all clonezilla images I want to save on a capacious hard drive formatted using ext2 or ext4 file system.  Output there.  Input is the drive/device to be cloned.  I like use internal 2.5" drives in an enclosue as the USB device to be the repository for clonezilla and ISO images. 

Also personally, I stay away from purchasing San-Disk and HP  USB sticks and SD cards for Linux because I have had problems with their proprietary software / firmware / whatever fouling up things.  I remeber being told that a user had to use Windows to remove it and I don't.

dd command is banned, so I can't mention that.

Linux assumes the user knows exactly what user is doing.  Making mistakes is part of the learning curve.  Just assume responsibility for using the keyboard, just like a shooter takes responsibility for pulling the trigger. 

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:57 AM

Have you tried this possible solution?

I'd try it, as I have a couple of 4GB USBs, but i don't use Win-Dozy any more, sorry.

Good luck

Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users