Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search engines not working with any browser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shipmate6984

shipmate6984

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

Google & Yahoo won't come up on web pages. Tried Firefox, IE, Chrome, and Safari. I have Google as an embeded search engine on my firefox home page and it comes up but will not return any search terms. I have Google cloud backup for my photos and the automatic upload cannot move new photos into the cloud.  I've run Zone Alarm virus and malware detection as well as PC Matic and had nothing detected. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

Pertinent error messages appearing onscreen?

Louis

#3 shipmate6984

shipmate6984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

IE:

This page can’t be displayed
  • Make sure the web address https://www.google.com is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Followed up by running the troubleshooter and it could  not identify the problem

Firefox: just keeps trying to connect but nothing happens, same with Chrome.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

I've run Zone Alarm virus and malware detection as well as PC Matic and had nothing detected. Any ideas?

I would uninstall anything related to Zone Alarm...and PC Matic is an "optimizer".  BC does not support the use of such tools.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

You can use the Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials, among others.

If you decide to remove suggested apps...I would follow that up with running the chkdsk /r command.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

Louis

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Like Louis says, get rid of those two.

IMO, they're both garbage.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

PC Matic is software which claims to be an optimizing tool with registry cleaning capability that purports to improve performance, make repairs, enhance the speed of a computer and remove viruses. PC Matic does not come with anti-virus protection which can find and remove malware as the TV advertisements indicate. The Overview tab says it provide protection against threats by utilizing a white list that only allows trusted applications to run. If you read the information under the Features tab on the vendor's website it only says the product protects against modern security threats...and it doesn't say how.

These types of optimization programs and the claims they make are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results the program detects as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. I also would not trust any detection alerts for viruses or other malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 shipmate6984

shipmate6984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

Many thanks to hamluis, rockysosua, and quietman7 for your advice and suggestions. I followed the advice of Luis and deleted Zone Alarm and PC Matic. It appears that Zone Alarm was the culprit. After deleting, I went back to firefox and found that google, bing, and yahoo all worked. Just to be sure I also checked it out on IE, Chrome, and Safari with the same results. Then I deleted PC Matic and ran chkdsk. Not only did this fix the problem but the computer is also running much more smoothly and faster. I also set up Windows Defender as my virus protection.

When joining the Forum I posted in the Introductions that I was looking forward to learning. Never did I think it would be so quick and beneficial. Thank you again, Looking forware to continue reading and learning from bleepingcomputer.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

I also set up Windows Defender as my virus protection.

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. Windows Defender on Windows 8 is not the same as Windows Defender on earlier operating systems. Although it uses the same name, the new Windows Defender on Windows 8 is integrated with the operating system, includes anti-virus protection, and provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) does on older operation systems.

See Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

#9 shipmate6984

shipmate6984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the tip. Just finished downloading Avast after reading the Choosing an Anti-Virus Program as well as the SANS Institute document. Then took a wild guess on which to choose after looking up all 5 recommended alternatives on the West Coast website.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users