Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat Toshiba Satellitte C855-1W3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonRob1986

JonRob1986

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hello. I need to reformat my computer. It's a long story but I have had recurring issues with malware and I have been advised that the best option would be to reformat the laptop. What I want to know is, what is the best way to do this? I understand that there is a hidden recovery image on my hard drive. For this reason I have gone through the advanced start up option to do this but I get an error that the recovery image cannot be found. P.S I am running windows 8. My second question is in relation to the Toshiba recovery wizard. This is another option on the advanced start up menu. If I select this process will I need to reinstall the operating system? This would prove problematic as the software came pre installed on this laptop. I have looked at the user manual for this particular model and the consequential effect is not made clear in relation to Windows 8.

Thanks

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

If I am understanding you right you would need to choose Recovery of factory default software (wording may not be exact) as opposed to using the option for a recovery image. The latter is an image that you have created of your system as per a specific time. Recovert of Factory Default Software will return your system to like the day you purchased it. Make sure you back-up all your important files, documents, pictures, Email, ETC. As you will loose everything.

After recovery (which will be like you just took it out of the box) you will need to reinstall your security software, all Windows updates, your data and any 3d party software you use.

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Have you tried to Reset your computer?  That is a built-in feature of Windows 8.  There is a Bleeping Computer tutorial here.  I returns you computer to factory condition so make sure you back up all your personal files.  Any programs you installed will have to be re-installed.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

Here's what's happening.

Win 8 has its built in recovery process but some companies, in this case Toshiba, prefer to do it their way, so the standard Win 8 recovery won't work, but the Toshiba one will.(should)

Don't forget to save all your data first, if you're doing a full reinstall.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users