Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"setup Failed To Open The Windows Image File"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yossi

yossi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:57 AM

During the setup of vista beta 2, right after i enter the product key ,i got this message "setup failed to open the windows image file" = i reburned the image onto a dvd+r at the slowest speed, still same message, after which the setup quits, any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

No idea why, but I had the same problem last night... So I reburned and expect to get the same problem with the new DVD-R. Wierd... Very weird... I can open the contents of the DVD in windows explorer once I've logged into WinXP and I can see all the files and folders but for some reason after I input my reg key it tells me that the image file is not being opened... No reason why.

Anyone know what we're doing wrong? Maybe using the wrong software to burn our copies? Or the right software but the wrong settings?

Please advise.

Modulus
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#3 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hey Yossi, I've been doing a little research and I think I may have found a work around for our problem with Vista.

Now first just let me say that I'm not sure why we're getting the error after the reg key input screen, so my solution may not be any solution at all... It's based on an assumption I'm making that, like the error we get indicates, there is something wrong with the image on the DVD. Perhaps there's some feature or setting we're not privvy to in our DVD burning software which is causing an unreadable image... Perhaps we downloaded the ISO and got some corrupt bytes in there somewhere. In any case, the following work around should do one of two things... It will either 1) Work fine and install windows Vista or 2) will not work and lead me to believe that the downloaded ISO is corrupt and needs to be redownloaded. In either situation, we're closer to a solution than before...

So here it is... Get a copy of Partition Magic (buy it from your local software store if you can't find a free copy or a demo or something)... I say this because the partition tool on the Vista DVD will destroy files on your current partition when you create a new one for your XP/Vista dual boot purposes (if you're not planning on doing the dual boot option, disregard this part of the work around).

Download Daemon tools.... Daemon tools is a CD/DVD drive emulator. Load up XP and mount the image using DTools and install Vista from there onto the new partition you created...

If that doesn't work, I would think that there's something wrong with the ISO that you and I downloaded and would suggest deleting it and trying to redownload, burn/mount the file and see how that works for you.

Edited by Modulus, 23 June 2006 - 01:17 PM.

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users